zoomed Natural grassland tortoise food

Status
Not open for further replies.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
My sulcata baby loooooves the ZooMed Grassland! I am so glad it is acceptable.... to a newbie... it looks better on the label. I really don't want this little eating machine to grow too fast!!! Funny, the Rt ignored it but goes crazy over his romaine lettuce. I think that is just what he got at the pet store and about the only thing he knows! We are trying new things every day :0)

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
i bought the ZooMed pellets over a month ago, my Russian girl will have nothing to do with it. i kid you not, i put it on top of her collards and she ate everything around it, and left the ZooMed with the circle of collards beneath it. haha. the Leopard i rescued (who sadly didnt make it) didnt like it either. however, i just got a Sonoran DT on friday night, and tried it with her today and she actually liked it. crazy.

0.1.0 Russian tortoise
0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pit/American Bulldog

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The grassland diet by ZooMed continues to be a staple for all my tortoises, they grow to do well with it, over time.

The tortoise who eats the circle around it, needs to not have a choice. All animals become habituated to what they know as a diet item. This reveals itself in weird ways. Even lion prides who become good at hunting one type of prey item will look past other good prey, right in front of them, deferring for what they have become habituated on.

The concept of a little of something as a 'side' dish is a 50/50 proposition. In one pound of greens, two zoomed pellets moistened and well mixed in will go un-noticed. Next feeding try four or five pellets. It works.

If you make a salad that is just a few leaves of something, use that small a proportion of the pellet. Escarole is an ingredient n the ZooMed pellet. Does your tortoise eat escarole?, it a good green. If they eat that, then you are half way there.

Will

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I have the forest blend and my ornate won't touch it. But I can't get her to eat earth worms either. How weird is that?!

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Elohi said:
I have the forest blend and my ornate won't touch it. But I can't get her to eat earth worms either. How weird is that?!

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

Try crickets with the jumper legs removed. Or a pinkie mouse. for your Ornate box turtle.

Many turtles by the species or as individuals are conservative to try something new. A slow introduction is often required.

Will

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
She does love crickets. Someone in another thread suggested putting the earthworms into a healthier environment (soil, eggshell, coffee grounds, ect...) because they may be stressed. I did get them from petsmart and 2 of them died the instant I put them in with her. Worm heart attacks maybe (lol). I did find that odd. I've had that happen with superworms before too. Weird.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Elohi said:
She does love crickets. Someone in another thread suggested putting the earthworms into a healthier environment (soil, eggshell, coffee grounds, ect...) because they may be stressed. I did get them from petsmart and 2 of them died the instant I put them in with her. Worm heart attacks maybe (lol). I did find that odd. I've had that happen with superworms before too. Weird.

Elohi🌎(Earth)[TURTLE]

Not because they're stressed, but rather because the medium that commercial worm folks use is sometimes not tasty for turtles to eat. So you put the worms into a clean medium for a couple weeks to clean them out.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Not because they're stressed, but rather because the medium that commercial worm folks use is sometimes not tasty for turtles to eat. So you put the worms into a clean medium for a couple weeks to clean them out.

Ah I see. That makes sense. How did I get stressed out of that? Whoops! Thanks for clarification. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I went back and read your comment, you indeed said distasteful lol.
DERP Elohi, distasteful does not = stressed. Hahaha

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Status
Not open for further replies.