Zookeeper and 1st-time homeowner, my GA yard needs a purpose

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Georgia
Until 2016, I rented and never felt stable enough to take on the responsibility of a tortoise at home. Two years later, I'm settled and have finally managed to get all the toxic ornamental trees and shrubs from my yard.
I've been researching about different indoor/outdoor tortoise enclosures, and my searches always bring me back to this forum. That, plus the fact I discovered years ago that "hobbyists" are often a wealth of information when it comes to herps, led me to register on these forums.

That being said, I am not a novice at tortoise husbandry.

Professionally, I've cared for: adult Burmese Mountains, Leopards, Red-foots, Sulcatas, Gophers, Pancakes, and Galapagos; juvenile/hatchling Leopards, Red-foots, Sulcatas, Gophers, and 1 Aldabra (and it's growing beautifully).
I have never bred, incubated, or hatched any tortoise species, although I have done with American alligators, Panther & Carpet Chameleons, and Lygodactylus geckos.

I recently joined a regional herp society in hopes that I can assist with fostering and rehoming (not just torts), but I've wanted my own tortoise for... dare I say decades? Yes, I am that old now.

I'm an advocate of the "adopt don't shop" movement, but I'm finding it difficult to find needy tortoises (other than Sulcatas, and I'm not sure I'm ready for a tank on the first go-round at home).

I'm planning on purchasing a leopard tortoise next month. After reading Neal Butler's care guide, I'll be working on my outdoor area later today and tomorrow.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hello from a fellow Georgian!
Which herp society did you join?

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia
Hello from a fellow Georgian!
Which herp society did you join?
I joined the Georgia Reptile Society after visiting their booth at the Claxton Rattlesnake Festival this year. We receive so many calls at work with people looking to rehome their reptiles (mostly beardies, tbh), and I wanted to give them a good option other than the zoo.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I joined the Georgia Reptile Society after visiting their booth at the Claxton Rattlesnake Festival this year. We receive so many calls at work with people looking to rehome their reptiles (mostly beardies, tbh), and I wanted to give them a good option other than the zoo.
Very cool! I've seen their both at Repticon.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Until 2016, I rented and never felt stable enough to take on the responsibility of a tortoise at home. Two years later, I'm settled and have finally managed to get all the toxic ornamental trees and shrubs from my yard.
I've been researching about different indoor/outdoor tortoise enclosures, and my searches always bring me back to this forum. That, plus the fact I discovered years ago that "hobbyists" are often a wealth of information when it comes to herps, led me to register on these forums.

That being said, I am not a novice at tortoise husbandry.

Professionally, I've cared for: adult Burmese Mountains, Leopards, Red-foots, Sulcatas, Gophers, Pancakes, and Galapagos; juvenile/hatchling Leopards, Red-foots, Sulcatas, Gophers, and 1 Aldabra (and it's growing beautifully).
I have never bred, incubated, or hatched any tortoise species, although I have done with American alligators, Panther & Carpet Chameleons, and Lygodactylus geckos.

I recently joined a regional herp society in hopes that I can assist with fostering and rehoming (not just torts), but I've wanted my own tortoise for... dare I say decades? Yes, I am that old now.

I'm an advocate of the "adopt don't shop" movement, but I'm finding it difficult to find needy tortoises (other than Sulcatas, and I'm not sure I'm ready for a tank on the first go-round at home).

I'm planning on purchasing a leopard tortoise next month. After reading Neal Butler's care guide, I'll be working on my outdoor area later today and tomorrow.
What zoo are you involved in and what is your role if you don't mind me asking?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

It's good to see someone from the zoo here on the Forum. I hope you'll read our care sheets and pinned threads with an open mind. We have members who have experimented with different ways of keeping and raising babies, and they have posted their successes and failures here for all of us to see. So much of what you read, or even have in your own mind, is old information. We have new and cutting edge information here. It's good to know you, and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia
Welcome!

It's good to see someone from the zoo here on the Forum. I hope you'll read our care sheets and pinned threads with an open mind. We have members who have experimented with different ways of keeping and raising babies, and they have posted their successes and failures here for all of us to see. So much of what you read, or even have in your own mind, is old information. We have new and cutting edge information here. It's good to know you, and I hope you enjoy your time with us.
Even though I work with all types of animals, herps have always been my main interest.
My zoo frequently works with USFWS to provide a home for animals confiscated from the pet trade. It'll literally be: "Hey, we just confiscated 50 *insert random chameleon*. Can you take some?" Admittedly, there are wonderful resources available to me through AZA and fellow zookeepers, but to be honest, when it comes to many herps, the husbandry information I find to be most useful often comes from pet-owners and hobbyists... people who spend their free time studying and caring for these exotic species, people who become truly specialized.
I have been reading so many of the threads here, and with all of it, I'm comparing it to how we care for our zoo tortoises (currently 3 gophers, 3 sulcatas, 1 aldabra, 3 pancakes). I always want to do better for them.
So I guess what I'm saying is, I'm confident in what I know first-hand and not intimidated by those who know more. And reading about failures and successes of various tortoise breeders does nothing but help me make better choices for the animals I care for, whether at work or at home.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I would be interested in hearing about the zoo's husbandry protocols for their tortoise species.

samkerns1

5 Year Member
Southwest Georgia
I would be interested in hearing about the zoo's husbandry protocols for their tortoise species.
I was already planning on starting some threads about the individuals I care for (in the species specific sections), describing the protocols we follow given our resources, and seeing what useful suggestions come of it. [emoji4]

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I was already planning on starting some threads about the individuals I care for (in the species specific sections), describing the protocols we follow given our resources, and seeing what useful suggestions come of it. [emoji4]
Great! You read my mind.