Soon 2b owner needs help

Location (City and/or State)
Central Kentucky
Hi everybody, I'm soon to be a new tortoise owner! I fel in love with torts quite a few years ago after owning a box turtle named suize Q. We had her for 5 years after first year we built her a outdoor enclosure. She was the coolest pet we loved her very much. Then someone stole her one weekend when we were gone. I have been waiting for right time to do it again only this time with torts! So here I am I need some advice on what kind of tortoise to get( liking leopards and stars )and If I could have two? I live in central Kentucky. And I was really hoping to get two of them. I have a 2 x 6' tortoise table that is currently a work in progress. I also have a sunroom that I can move the tortoise table into also have a nice yard with plenty of raised gardens that Im going convert into numerous outdoor enclosures for them as soon as it's nice enough out. so they're actually going to have a variety of enclosures all around my yard and my yard has all kinds of trees plenty of shade. If you can't tell I'm so excited any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0690.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Heather, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
I guess you're planning on getting a hatchling or very young tortoise as even a sub adult leopard or star is too big for a 2' by 6' table.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
for basic stuff and then http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/indian-star-and-burmese-star-tortoises.94/
to help you decide.
Sadly, tortoises don't do well in pairs, they don't need or want friends or company see http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
for example.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Tortoises do not do good in pairs. They need to be alone or in a group of the appropriate male to female ratio. Also and open table is not the best enclosure as it doesn't keep in heat and humidity

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here before getting 2 tortoises. The links above will give you the correct info on raising a leopard or star. They are similar care.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Heather, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a great-looking tort table. It will probably be ok for the tortoise during bad weather. But if you get a baby, it's too big. Plus a baby needs to be in a covered habitat - covered so that you can keep the warm, moist air inside.

It would be fine to have more than one tortoise, but each one needs it's own territory. They are solitary and will fight to chase other tortoises out of their territory. So the different outside enclosures you're planning would be fine with one tortoise in each habitat.

Central Kentucky
Thank you all! After doing some more research I was wondering would that table be more suitable for a hermanns or Greek? I really had my heart set on a indoor tortoise and one that I can also provide multiple flower garden enclosures outside and a sunroom when the weather is permitting. I need a tortoise that I can bring in easily for when we leave. Also Is one more outgoing than the other as far as a Herms tortoise or a Greek tortoise? I also forgot to mention in my previous post that my table will be sitting 3 feet off the floor on two bookcases which will also make it easy for me to take out to screened sunroom and set on my kitchen table I have out there also the walls are 18 inches high. Also is there a such thing as a self sub stainable tortoise table? I have read you can plant plants in their enclosure just wondering if you can plant a enough to self substain one? I also forgot to mention that if the tortoise table is too big I can block off some of it and possibly add another one to the other end one day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I think you've heard most of this already, but I like to phrase things in my own words sometimes. Plus its just one more vote to help you make a decision.
1. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs. Groups of juveniles are usually okay, but not pairs. Singles are best.
2. Species should never be mixed. Too much disease potential.
3. Your table is too small for an adult of any species and too open for any species of baby, unless the whole room is humidified. If you attempt to raise a hatchling in an open table in any normal home, it will pyramid. Its just too dry and the open table and low sides let all needed the warmth and humidity out. Heating for winter and A/C in summer make it even worse. Best to use some sort of closed chamber for starting babies. Once your tortoise reaches 4 inches, or so, you can then use a 4x8' table for the indoor times.
4. Indian stars and leopards tend to be on the shy side as tortoise species go. Eastern hermanni tend to be more outgoing than the greeks, in general.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask all your questions. We are here to talk tortoises. :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello, and welcome! You came to the right place for help.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome! I would recommend, (if you want an indoor tortoise), a Russian. That's the one I have.:D Every tortoise differs in attitude, though some species are more outgoing than others. I can tell you that Russians are known to be mischievous, very active, very curious, and, on occasion, moody. I like a tort with some personality, though. :)
Some might disagree with me on the subject of the enclosure size. I think this cage (along with time spent outdoors) will suffice. Of course, the bigger the better. Like a said, Russians are active.
But if you want the very best of the best for your tortoise, take the expert's advice. :) I look forward to seeing your future tortoise!

Central Kentucky
Once again Thank y'all very much! I have decided a Russian will suite me best! Going to 2 reptile expos in next two weeks hopefully I'll find a breeder that is some what close and will have a CB Tortoise for me. I have decided to use table and will adapt it to Tortoise i can make it closed chamber or I can make it double decker for bigger CB. I'm getting the temp and humidity thing tomorrow at lows forgot it today when I got it water dish and seed packs. I also bought deep dome fixture zoo med 160 watt one hope that was right? took forever to find deep one with metal hanging thang. Would a juvenile be to small as well for current size of table? What size dose a Russian need to be for open top? 4-5"? I'm really not wanting a hatchling more like well started. Dose well started and juvenile mean same age?
Thanks everyone