Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown, TX
i have it for my RF inside enclosure. Used twice and moved them outside..so don't really know what to tell you. But I do have one... When I bought it, I did so...because I knew I was going to need at least two lamps and this gave me the ability to do that with only one clamp.

Oops, sorry...I bought the light stand to hold the lights and clamped my Red Night light onto the post. The Mini ZooMed does not clamp...

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
DixieParadise said:
i have it for my RF inside enclosure. Used twice and moved them outside..so don't really know what to tell you. But I do have one... When I bought it, I did so...because I knew I was going to need at least two lamps and this gave me the ability to do that with only one clamp.

Oops, sorry...I bought the light stand to hold the lights and clamped my Red Night light onto the post. The Mini ZooMed does not clamp...

Thanks for the information Dixie. Did you have any problems with the bulbs or ceramic heaters sticking out of the bottom?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
No, on the regular type bulbs. But I do have one of those long neon looking bulbs that curls and it sticks out..but I only use it to light up the enclosure to clean it. (Really lights up the place :cool: )I do not use it for the Tortoises...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anthony:

You can buy the lights much cheaper at a home improvement store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Just be sure to get the one with a ceramic base.

Personally, I prefer the wider bell and really don't like the "deep dome," and I like them individual, not stuck together like that.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
I had this for a little bit and I really liked it. I had to switch to a strip type fixture cause I was afraid that my cats would knock it over.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
The main thing with the combo to remember is that it can't handle a ceramic heat emitter!

LindaF

5 Year Member
I have one I have used for over a year with no problems. I have a red infrared bulb on 7x24 for heat shen inside. I haven't had any issues with it. Also, the above is correct. It is not for use with CHEs.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
I had one for about 20 minutes. It says it can handle 100 watts on each side. But the second I put my 75 watt basking light in one side (it was the light they recommended for this particular set up) it blew and started smoking really bad. I just took it back and got one dome and a Power Sun.
Plus it kept going lop sided, again with the lights it recommended. My tort was coming the next day so I didn't really have time to test it out more or else I would have.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Seems like it would be okay, but I prefer the freedom of being able to move my light and/or CHE around to get my temps just right. What happens if you need to raise your MVB to get the right basking temp, but you need to lower your CHE to get the right night temps?

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Tom said:
Seems like it would be okay, but I prefer the freedom of being able to move my light and/or CHE around to get my temps just right. What happens if you need to raise your MVB to get the right basking temp, but you need to lower your CHE to get the right night temps?

Agreed. I used one of these when I got my first Leopard, but I returned it because i did not feel that I had enough freedom to move and adjust the lights individually.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Agree with others. I prefer having the flexibility of two different fixtures.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thanks for all of the advice! I cancelled the order from Amazon and found 2 separate units for $7.37 each in Home Depot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.