Zoo med heating pad on wood?

Amyjoe09

Hi can you put a zoo med heating pad under a wooden tortoises table?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I don't think they recommend it. Why are you using a heat pad?

Prairie Mom

I tried to use one for a travel set up and it just didn't put out enough heat. I ended up using a ceramic heat emitter with a lamp stand and was able to get good temps that way. If you're uncertain what I'm referring to, let me know, and I'll happily send you links.:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi can you put a zoo med heating pad under a wooden tortoises table?

No. Its not safe.

And I would not recommend heating pads for an indoor tortoise enclosure anyway.

What species and what are you trying to do? There are better ways to heat an enclosure.

Amyjoe09

I have a young Sulcata and I had a pad laying around but I'm not going to use it...

Amyjoe09

And why do none of my local stores sell muzuri :( I was thinking about trying

Amyjoe09

I got her from someone that gave me direction to keep her the "old way" I even built a table under her instructions that now I'm thinking about modifying it because was not built to hold humidity. She said low humidity and dont leave water in her table! And she gave me a bag of lizard litter and said look at the back it says sulcuta... Witch i just found out yesterday its not a top substance by far.

Amyjoe09

What about a pig pad could I use one of those under the table? I tried looking it up but it kept giving info on mini pigs for some reason...

Amyjoe09

No. Its not safe.

And I would not recommend heating pads for an indoor tortoise enclosure anyway.

What species and what are you trying to do? There are better ways to heat an enclosure.
What about a pig pad? I am not warming up to the ideal of a heat emitter... I just want something I can keep on at night with the lamps off...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And why do none of my local stores sell muzuri :( I was thinking about trying
You have to order it from a feed store, or you can buy it from one of many online sellers. You will only need a tiny amount for a little one, so while the shipping might seem high, even one pound will last you for many months.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should not put anything like a pad UNDER the table. They are not meant to have anything on top of them like that.

Resign yourself to overhead heat. Many of us use it safely. Plus it's more natural for the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about a pig pad? I am not warming up to the ideal of a heat emitter... I just want something I can keep on at night with the lamps off...

Heating from underneath is not ideal for small ones. I would not recommend it.

Why don't you like the idea of a heat emitter? All heat, no light, they last forever... I've got one that has been in near continuous use since 1991.

Using a closed chamber is much simpler, more efficient, and it also opens up other heating strategies too, like radiant heat panels that would attach to the roof of the enclosure.

Amyjoe09

You have to order it from a feed store, or you can buy it from one of many online sellers. You will only need a tiny amount for a little one, so while the shipping might seem high, even one pound will last you for many months.
If I did order a huge bag would it go bad? Do you know shelf life?

Amyjoe09

Heating from underneath is not ideal for small ones. I would not recommend it.

Why don't you like the idea of a heat emitter? All heat, no light, they last forever... I've got one that has been in near continuous use since 1991.

Using a closed chamber is much simpler, more efficient, and it also opens up other heating strategies too, like radiant heat panels that would attach to the roof of the enclosure.
I spent months building her table before I got her and I don't want to give up quite yet... If I lined the entire inside with glass and glass top would that be considered closed?

agintz

5 Year Member
Phoenix
I tried to use one for a travel set up and it just didn't put out enough heat. I ended up using a ceramic heat emitter with a lamp stand and was able to get good temps that way. If you're uncertain what I'm referring to, let me know, and I'll happily send you links.:)
I would love to see these links. I am in the process of converting my sulcata's outdoor room. This is the first winter we plan to keep her out night through winter (she just turned 4 and is 3.5 lbs.). I am so nervous about it! We live in Phoenix, but it can get down into the 40's, sometimes even the 30's at night. She has an entrance into the back of our garden shed that leads to her area of 2' by 3'. I'm not sure its warm enough :/ What should our goal temps be? I thought it was just to keep it at 60 or above for a low, but have noticed higher temps mentioned since I have joined the forum (newby).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I did order a huge bag would it go bad? Do you know shelf life?
No I don't know the shelf life, but 25 pounds would last a hatchling years. I have more than 50 tortoises, mostly adults and older juveniles, and 25 pounds lasts me 2 months. That's is way more than you need.

The temperature, humidity, and how well you seal it are all factors in shelf life.