Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Food For Russians?

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
Hi,

I'm always trying to vary up Harrison's diet, and was wondering your thoughts on the "Zoo Med Grassland Diet".

Will Russians even eat this? Is it ok to switch in and out with Mazuri?

I currently feed dandelion weeds (slim pickings with winter approaching), endive, escarole, Mazuri (about once a week), and other greens from the store.

Thanks

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Yep, those pellets are fine. However, if he won’t eat it, try mixing in a bit of mazuri.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I'm always trying to vary up Harrison's diet, and was wondering your thoughts on the "Zoo Med Grassland Diet".

Will Russians even eat this? Is it ok to switch in and out with Mazuri?

I currently feed dandelion weeds (slim pickings with winter approaching), endive, escarole, Mazuri (about once a week), and other greens from the store.

Thanks
Russians are not grass eaters, HOWEVER, the ZooMed pellets are a great way to add some variety and fiber to your winter grocery store greens. Start very small. Soak a tiny piece of a broken pellet and mix it in thoroughly with the days greens. I find most tortoises are not that into it at first, but in time, with a slow introduction, they get used to it and like it. None of my tortoises have ever walked up to a pile of it and started eating the first time they see it, but after a couple of months, most of them smell the food when I set it down and come running.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I find by analyzing the ingredients that the ZooMed Grassland, Forest, and Gourmet diets are the best available. Even the "grass land" has a escarole high on the ingredient list. The Gourmet is, considered by analysis, one of the best over all, and it is the Grassland with sweet potato and hibiscus added.

The ZooMed diets appeal to tortoises by 'activating' their natural interest in dried plants found as they might in the wild as they browse during low rainfall years. Mazuri diet appeals to the tortoises by 'activating' their natural desire to eat other animal's feces. Both of these diets are easy to get, and if you are happy with one over the other it might still be a good idea to try some of the other, to maintain variety and so the tortoise does not get stuck on one food or the other.