Yoty's new indoor enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
Hey hey team tortoise.

So I made my RT a new outdoor enclosure last weekend, and this week I made him a new and improved indoor enclosure that more than doubles the size of his old place. I made this by combining 2 underbed Sterilite containers together, each one is 35''x16.5' so the total area is about 3'x3' ish. I cut out a section on both of them and made this into a walkway between the two halves, then I built a 'bridge/mini-mountain' over the other half so he can walk over the top from one side to the other (I'm calling it Mt. Yortimus, after the late great gladiator tortoise Yortimus Maximus :D, yes, I am supernerd).

some highlights:

• potted agave - for deco and to give some extra shade
  • ceramic pot holder lid thing to bask on
  • real grass with nasturtiums planted throughout that i grew myself
  • bridge over the top of half with a half log burrow on one side and a half log burrow/underramp tunnel on the other
  • water dish with some rock things around it
  • mini rock hide
  • feeding dish
  • modified lid to half the enclosure for extra shade/cover when needed.

What do you guys think? Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms?!?

I do have one question, I could only find the clear totes that were this size. for now i have duck tape taped around the entire border so he can't see through it, does anyone have any suggestions of a better idea than that? it seems to be working ok.

if you look reeeeeaaaally closely in the first picture you can see Yortoise's head poking over the top of Mount Yortimus.

Attachments

• 2012-09-14 13.14.01.jpg
    2012-09-14 13.14.01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 157
  • 2012-09-14 13.19.31.jpg
    2012-09-14 13.19.31.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
  • 2012-09-14 13.19.43.jpg
    2012-09-14 13.19.43.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 110
  • 2012-09-14 13.20.39.jpg
    2012-09-14 13.20.39.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 2012-09-14 13.23.49.jpg
    2012-09-14 13.23.49.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 99

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. The only other thing I can think of to make it not see through, would be to paint the outside of it. But I think the tape is fine. One more thing, you can grow seeds right inside the substrate. I did last winter in plain coir.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
LOVE. IT. !!! And I think the names Yortimus Maximus and Mt. Yortimus are WONDERFULLY clever!!!

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Love it! I plan on doing something like this next week. What did you use to cut the containers? Maybe a dumb girl question but I have been using scissors to make most of my stuff and after cutting that peanut butter jar in half to make a hide I know I will never get through these containers!

srkarpen

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
LuckysGirl007 said:
Love it! I plan on doing something like this next week. What did you use to cut the containers? Maybe a dumb girl question but I have been using scissors to make most of my stuff and after cutting that peanut butter jar in half to make a hide I know I will never get through these containers!

I used an xacto knife. It worked better than I thought it would. I also used some snips I had laying around, basically they are heavy duty scissors designed to cut through some light metals. They cost about 10 bucks at home depot and had no problem with the thick plastic. The 'hardest' part was bridging the gap between the two halves after I cut it. I think the whole thing took an hour and cost less than 50 dollars. My tort loves it. I've never seen him so active.

Status
Not open for further replies.