Yoshi @ 4 mos

Subersibo

10 Year Member!

Hi, everybody! Just thought I'd share some pics of Yoshi, my little leo. I got him from Greg T. in August. He was born on Aug. 9, I believe. He is about 4 inches now. I kept him in a tortoise table/closed chamber with the mvb and a che on a thermostat inside on 1 side of the enclosure. I transferred him to a terrarium (also closed chamber) recently. It was getting a bit difficult to heat the whole 7 ft table since it got cold but it's easier now. Plus, the terrarium looks better. I'll probably use the table again when he gets bigger. I used some cypress mulch and orchid bark for substrate and added grass in some parts of the terrarium. He has a humid hide near the che. Temp and humidity are much easier to manage with the smaller enclosure.
Temps are from 80-85
Basking high 90's to about 100
Nighttime temp is in the low 80's
Humidity is from 70 - up according to the petco gauge which I suspect isn't very accurate. There is a lot of condensation in the tank. I have an accurate digital gauge which malfunctioned after a few months. I don't think it was able to withstand the humidity in the previous enclosure.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Aha! Proof that baby tortoises need terrariums for their habitat! Your enclosure looks awesome Subersibo and your temps and humidity spot on! And look ... Yoshi looks fabulousity! Wow! Love! Yoshi looks great! Little tortoises need lovely mini me terrarium gardens y'all. Lookee here. See. Working. What an inspiration for others.
Thanks for sharing! : )

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Wow, he looks great! I'm really surprised at how much white he has already. And growing like crazy! Keep up the great work there! :D

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Absolutely love the enclosure. And your baby looks awesome - so pretty/handsome!!

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Thanks everyone. I bought the tank with screen lid, the background, 2 heat bulbs, lamp, a nice log, the tree thingy, and a large cave for just $50. Its just too much to fit in there though so i just kept the other stuff. I missed my chance to get a nice critter condo at the same price on craigslist so luckily there was this one. I really wanted the condo since the lighting is already inside but this works well for now.
This guy loves his mazuri as he runs to the feeding dish from his cave web he sees some!

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Sorry to thread jack I dont mean to but I thought it would be cool to post a pic of my little leo. (Really im not hijacking this) Its just that mine I believe is from the same clutch as yours so I thought it would be cool to share for comparison. 1388452653078.jpg
Btw yours is looking spectacular hot n humid :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Hey no prob! Thanks for sharing! Nice to see one of his siblings!could you post a pic of his enclosure?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's amazing how different a smooth leopard looks compared to the old pyramided ones of the past . Job well done!

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Hes lives in a 2ftx4ft enclosure. Im debating building a 5x3 enclosure for him. Here are a couple of pics even with my woodstove right there I maintain a humidity of 70-80% 1388503266688.jpg1388503292244.jpg1388503324757.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Cool! How did you cut holes through the glass/ plexiglass? Is it ok to hang the lamps by the cords?
One of my lamps fell to the floor last night when i clumsily moved things around and the ceramic base shattered. Luckily the bulb wasn't damaged and I had a spare lamp.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Yeah its plexiglass. I took apart the light and disconnected the wires from the ceramic socket then fed them through the hole and reconnected everything nice and tight.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Well, I have to say that them-there Greg T babies are looking mighty fine. Greg T, how cool to know that your little guys/gals are being so well cared for and loved. You both are rocking it. Very inspiring for others. Thank you for sharing with Every.Body. Updates are gonna be fun! : )

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very pretty little one.