Yesterday's Sonic Boom & bad timing

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
I can laugh now but trust me, this was sobering to me.

Yesterday I was downstairs adding chemical to my chem feeder for my well water. Nornally, I buy bottles of 12% and go....but it's 1/50th of the cost to "roll your own" and buy pure chemical. BUT it's very, very dangerous. Most of you already see how this story is going to roll out.....LOL

This chemical is so potent and reacts so violently with water that all Personal protection protocols are recommended.

To get a read of how dangerous this was going to be, I geared up and I placed a tablespoon of the chemical into a glass measuring cup with 1.5 cups of cold water. INSTANTLY the water boiled and began to spit & leave to measuring cup, I quickly poured/lay it into a 2 gallon pot of cold water diluted and ended the exothermic reaction....in that 3 seconds, the bottom of the glass measuring cup was as hot as if I'd filled it with the hottest water off the stove! Yikes....this is some serious stuff!

So, I'm downstairs adding a 1/4 cup of chemical at a time to a large 40 gallon plastic tank in full mask w/chemical filters, arm length chem gloves and faceshield.....nervous as heck because I have 40 pounds of this stuff in a bucket 8" from water......it will simply explode if water were to pour into the open bucket. Remembering that the flood I have a few months ago originated in this room I went into auto-mode! Couldn't let myself think about that and still accomplish this. YES, superman does get nervous!

At this point, I'm imagining how the guys who used to transport Nitro used to feel.....not a great feeling. As the scoop hits the water, it's like Satan himself is in there! Nasty stuff I'm thinking as I mix it in with a long wooden pole, half expecting to see it half eaten away when I pull it out! But very effective if used safely. So anyway, I have a scoop of this white death in my hands when the BOOM came and entire house shook........HOLY CRAP .....easy jeffery, it's all good, ease that hand over there and make this without spilling....whew! I'm generally pretty cool under pressure......but afterwards, it took me 5 minutes to catch my breath for this one! I methodically shut everything down, covered the chemical securing the top and put in in a different, elevated section of the basement, removed my stuff and washed before going upstairs and expecting to find a tree in my bedroom!

Obviously I didn't find one but I found my phone with a text from Kerry who had left in the morning and was at her Classroom cleaning out for summer, in Suddlerville Md,(Home of Jimmy Fox) around 60 miles away;

"Did you hear that?"

Wow~!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica

Yesterday I was downstairs adding chemical to my chem feeder for my well water. Nornally, I buy bottles of 12% and go....but it's 1/50th of the cost to "roll your own" and buy pure chemical. BUT it's very, very dangerous. Most of you already see how this story is going to roll out.....LOL

This chemical is so potent and reacts so violently with water that all Personal protection protocols are recommended.

To get a read of how dangerous this was going to be, I geared up and I placed a tablespoon of the chemical into a glass measuring cup with 1.5 cups of cold water. INSTANTLY the water boiled and began to spit & leave to measuring cup, I quickly poured/lay it into a 2 gallon pot of cold water diluted and ended the exothermic reaction....in that 3 seconds, the bottom of the glass measuring cup was as hot as if I'd filled it with the hottest water off the stove! Yikes....this is some serious stuff!

So, I'm downstairs adding a 1/4 cup of chemical at a time to a large 40 gallon plastic tank in full mask w/chemical filters, arm length chem gloves and faceshield.....nervous as heck because I have 40 pounds of this stuff in a bucket 8" from water......it will simply explode if water were to pour into the open bucket. Remembering that the flood I have a few months ago originated in this room I went into auto-mode! Couldn't let myself think about that and still accomplish this. YES, superman does get nervous!

At this point, I'm imagining how the guys who used to transport Nitro used to feel.....not a great feeling. As the scoop hits the water, it's like Satan himself is in there! Nasty stuff I'm thinking as I mix it in with a long wooden pole, half expecting to see it half eaten away when I pull it out! But very effective if used safely. So anyway, I have a scoop of this white death in my hands when the BOOM came and entire house shook........HOLY CRAP .....easy jeffery, it's all good, ease that hand over there and make this without spilling....whew! I'm generally pretty cool under pressure......but afterwards, it took me 5 minutes to catch my breath for this one! I methodically shut everything down, covered the chemical securing the top and put in in a different, elevated section of the basement, removed my stuff and washed before going upstairs and expecting to find a tree in my bedroom!

Obviously I didn't find one but I found my phone with a text from Kerry who had left in the morning and was at her Classroom cleaning out for summer, in Suddlerville Md,(Home of Jimmy Fox) around 60 miles away;

"Did you hear that?"

Wow~!
Pictures or it didn't happen.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You left me hanging here over a few things.
First, why in the world do you have to put that stuff in your well water? OMG, I was raised on well water and we never did anything too it. Most of my family still has well water and still does nothing to it.
Second, what was the big boom? Did you ever find out?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You left me hanging here over a few things.
First, why in the world do you have to put that stuff in your well water? OMG, I was raised on well water and we never did anything too it. Most of my family still has well water and still does nothing to it.
Second, what was the big boom? Did you ever find out?
I also have well water and have never heard of adding anything to it. What gives?

Barb: It was a sonic boom as our jet fighter planes were dispersed to intercept a plane flying over DC.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep. I was outside & our house is in the direct glidepath of both the Cessna & the chasing F-16s.

When the SONIC BOOM boomed it was tremendously loud & we also heard the jets just prior to the BOOM. KaBOOM. Started like a massive strike of lightning & thunder and ended with everything rattled. Every neighbor out looking for something 👀

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I also have well water and have never heard of adding anything to it. What gives?

Barb: It was a sonic boom as our jet fighter planes were dispersed to intercept a plane flying over DC.
Oh, so it was that, the boom. I heard nothing about it until after I read and posted on this thread. Then the news finally told the story.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
And why didn't they answer? If they were up to no good, glad they crashed all by themselves.
Sounds like they went unconscious due to some pressurization issue. Looks like a number of people died including the baby, its mom and nanny...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And why didn't they answer? If they were up to no good, glad they crashed all by themselves.
The latest thing I read was one of our jet pilots saw that the other pilot was unconcious. They surmise the cabin lost pressure. The plane's owner said he's lost his whole family.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The latest thing I read was one of our jet pilots saw that the other pilot was unconcious. They surmise the cabin lost pressure. The plane's owner said he's lost his whole family.
Even if they had no bad intentions, this kind of crap is deserving of military interception. Just think about the poor military men and woman in those jets, if they would have had to take that plane out, just to find out it was a family just being stupid.
Below makes it suspect to me.
(A Cessna Citation aircraft, a business jet, departed from Elizabethton, Tenn., and was bound for Long Island MacArthur Airport in New York, the FAA said. But instead of landing, the plane turned around over Long Island and flew a straight path over D.C.)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

"Did you hear that?"

Wow~!
I saw that and wondered if you or Mark heard it. I heard it on the news this morning. Wow!..and I wondered what the two of you were doing if you did 😭 that's a pretty crazy sensation 😉 the time I heard and witnessed thunder snow was like that. I wondered if planet earth was coming to an end. So did everyone else in my small town on the Ohio River.🤗

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
The report I read said it crashed on its own in the woods and first responders didn't get onsite for hours... that feels more to me as though the plane lost cabin pressure and just flew until it didn't anymore.

It happens with small planes from time to time, more often than the other thing....

J

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The report I read said it crashed on its own in the woods and first responders didn't get onsite for hours... that feels more to me as though the plane lost cabin pressure and just flew until it didn't anymore.

It happens with small planes from time to time, more often than the other thing....

J
Yes that's what they said this morning on the news. It's very sad for the family but also the people that experienced the sonic boom especially the children and animals.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Below makes it suspect to me.
(A Cessna Citation aircraft, a business jet, departed from Elizabethton, Tenn., and was bound for Long Island MacArthur Airport in New York, the FAA said. But instead of landing, the plane turned around over Long Island and flew a straight path over D.C.)

The whole deal sucks, folks died. In a scenario where the pilot knew he was failing, he may have thought that routing the plane back on auto pilot would have given them their best chance if everyone was becoming incapacitated at the same time due to as JS suggests, cabin pressure was lost. Most would have set the deck at 1500ft and gotten low, quick.

Here over the Magothy aquafer, it's hit or miss depending on the substrate above it when you drill a well. In this area, they must now penetrate the 2nd layer of water and not stop at the first as they did back when this home was built in '66.

Kerry for instance had undrinkable (Hydrogen sulfides) well water in her old house, 7 miles from her new home which has excellent well water with only a filter! Her PH is 6.8-7.2, the dissolved solids are now less than 100ppm since I installed the house-filter. Her water is even reasonably soft, real evident in the shower!

Mine isn't bad-bad, but it is hard and does have smell and PH issues that are easily dealt with by using equipment. The piece of equipment I'm referring to looks similar to this.
RM55-228x228.jpg

It sits next to a twin tank water softener and a separate tank with potassium permanganate to ionize and remove the iron but the Pot-Perm needs the PH to be above 7-7.5 or it will degrade.....hence the use of "explosives" to get the ph up with. LOL

I'm a plumber so of course we're not going to have red fixtures or hard water.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
["Something" is different than the rest] is how I see this plane-event. The "Spidy senses" never lie. I'm not spending any energy evaluating everything but at first blush, something isn't right about this. We all know it too I suspect but most would keep it to themselves, most would....LOL

Plumbing 1;01

This is "Water Taste Engineering"...(maybe not at it's best moment since this is a pic I took for Erie when everything was wet)

The path to the faucet;
As the water enters the home all the way at the right next to the blue tank, it goes into the standard expansion tank(blue), then heads for the big tank all the way on the opposite side, on the way there, the water it gets "injected" from chemical feed tank and pump(clear) to raise the PH from it's native 4.8 up to 7(a huge jump).
The big tank is a proprietary Terminox iron filter, it is filled with potassium permanganate and no iron gets past it but the water must be at a PH of 7 or higher or it will degrade the material! Next, the water leaves the iron filter and heads to the twin-tank water softener, then from there to the home. Both control systems are eyeball-synced so they read the same times and go into backwash sequentially, at 4am.

Pro Tip; Contrary to common thought, Salt (brine water)is only used to wash the materials in the tanks on both systems so they can operate at full capacity. Salt is not added to soften the water.

I'm a plumber so this is easy stuff....and I have 3 tubs, 2 of them whirlpools so having the capacity for good water is kinda necessary. I remember moving in and sitting in the big tub with a girlfriend and the water smelled like rotten eggs....kind of a buzz kill when you find yourself thinking about the smell of the water, right? LOL

The original water softener had been used to remove iron(a big no no) and you can see the evidence in the reused backwash line going up. The iron filter on the left has it's own backwash line but it is a soft poly tube that doesn't accumulate the iron as it's flushed so it's isn't red, but you should see the backwash well outside! It hands down beats the crap out of everything else on the market...magnets, krylox, prylox, brim, greensands..any of them & it never needs a thing.

I have a RO water system on my fridge b/c you shouldn't really drink "softened" water due to the sodium content but I really don't need it any longer other than for that. My water tastes great and it's less filling too!

water system.jpg