yellowish/brownish on plastron. Is this signs of shell rot or just staining?

Gamtauru

Location (City and/or State)
Pottstown, Pa
Hello all,

I noticed some unusual coloring on Gaius and Zeno. It is not soft. Those areas are hard like other parts of the shell and plastron. I am hoping it is just staining (I use coconut core and repti bark) or growth but I want to error on the side of caution and figure some of the more experienced caretakers might have seen or know what this is. I have tried looking online and in my many books but it doesn't look like what most describe or pictures I have seen. Thank you in advance.

20211212_083705.jpg20211212_083723.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello all,

I noticed some unusual coloring on Gaius and Zeno. It is not soft. Those areas are hard like other parts of the shell and plastron. I am hoping it is just staining (I use coconut core and repti bark) or growth but I want to error on the side of caution and figure some of the more experienced caretakers might have seen or know what this is. I have tried looking online and in my many books but it doesn't look like what most describe or pictures I have seen. Thank you in advance.

View attachment 337387View attachment 337388
It looks like stains from the coco coir bedding. It is evident on the front legs as well as the shell. It would probably come off with a wet cotton swab or a toothbrush. Don't try to clean in the middle areas of the newest growth between the scutes with a toothbrush, though. They will bleed rather easily if brushed with a brush too vigorously.

Gamtauru

Pottstown, Pa
It looks like stains from the coco coir bedding. It is evident on the front legs as well as the shell. It would probably come off with a wet cotton swab or a toothbrush. Don't try to clean in the middle areas of the newest growth between the scutes with a toothbrush, though. They will bleed rather easily if brushed with a brush too vigorously.
Thank you Zovick. I have been using cotton swabs during their baths and the area looks better the last couple of weeks.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Sorry for the very delayed response.
No problem. Glad it is looking better.

If you tried wetting the cotton swabs with white vinegar, it might help to remove the stains even better than just using water. Just be careful not to get vinegar in the eyes (although flushing the eyes with water will stop the stinging rather quickly if it does happen).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Agreed
It is not a fungal issue