Shell rot or just a dirty plastron?

Tortoise Lover 1498

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Does this look like my elongated tortoise has shell rot?? I have a vet appointment scheduled but can’t get in until July 29th. I can’t tell if it’s a case of shell rot or just a dirty plastron. What do you guys think?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 3A8E7B49-4F89-4939-B5E0-CF37ECBDA43E.jpeg
    3A8E7B49-4F89-4939-B5E0-CF37ECBDA43E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 93

zovick

10 Year Member!
Does this look like my elongated tortoise has shell rot?? I have a vet appointment scheduled but can’t get in until July 29th. I can’t tell if it’s a case of shell rot or just a dirty plastron. What do you guys think?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The tortoise does not have shell rot. If that is why you made the vet appointment, you don't need to go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do a soak and use a soft tooth brush to lightly scrub it. If it doesn't go away and you are sure it wasn't there before, you could out some over the counter antifungal on it daily for a couple weeks and see if it goes away.
I think it's likely just natural shell coloration or from constant contact to substrate and staining.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not shell fungus and definitely not shell rot either.
(They are different ailments treated differently)
The marks look like superficial scrapes.
I would also avoid a vet visit with a healthy tortoise. But only because so few vets know anything about tortoises. But most of them will still act like they do and actually cause harm.