Yellowfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Tell me the differences in Yellowfoots (compared to Red-Foots), I mean besides the obvious coloring. Do they get the same size? Do they have the same housing and dietary and environment needs? Why are Red-Foots more common (it seems)?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yellowfoots average bigger than Redfoots, 18" to 24". The biggest one I ever heard of was a 36" male. They have the same housing and dietary needs as Redfoots, but where Redfoots as adults can take dry conditions Yellowfoots can't.
Redfoots are more common because they are being farmed and are easier to breed here. Most people can't houses adult Yellowfoots, so they aren't bred often. You do though see CBs for sale every year, just not anywhere near as many as Redfoots.

Danny

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yellow foots are awesome. Always buy captive born though. They have larger scales on their legs and heads. Almost plate like scales on big adults. They are really cool looking and some are very colorful. I really want to work with yellow foots.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Richard Cary Paull suggests in the promos to his book on Yellow-foots (https://www.greennaturebooks.com/store.cfm but this is not the promo I was thinking of) that this species has some specialized cares apart from Red-foots... but I have no real idea what that would be.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
Tell me the differences in Yellowfoots (compared to Red-Foots), I mean besides the obvious coloring. Do they get the same size? Do they have the same housing and dietary and environment needs? Why are Red-Foots more common (it seems)?

Kelly to the best of my knowledge Yellowfoots live deeper in the Amazon jungle.. so I would think they aren't as gregarious as Redfoots. And they get so much larger. I don't know what the differences in care might be(?)!

The easiest way to I.D. a Yellowfoot is by the parallel plates/bars on the nose which cover the end of the nose with no "tip" plate..

newredfoot4.jpg

Are we learning anything?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Ha! So we were right! Deontay has a Turtle/Tortoise calendar, and this month is "Red-Foot Tortoise". It has a picture of a hatcling (or yearling) on top of an adult, and we were saying the adult MUST be a Yellow Foot and NOT a Red-Foot like the calendar says (due to shell coloring), and yep the one in the pic has the same "parallel plates" on the nose!

Yep I'm learning something new every day!

Status
Not open for further replies.