XX-LARGE CHERRIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Some of the myths ...or common mis-leading info , Cherry Heads are dwarfs. Here is Queen ELizabeth and Her Mate Oscar. Both pure Brazilian Cherry Heads over 14 years old. These are my alpha pair in the cherry herd. Pushing close to 14" and well over 10lbs , these are not dwarfs by any means.......

BGMOMMA2.jpg

BGMOMMA5.jpg

Pictured here next to a 6" offspring from 09'
BGMOMMA8.jpg

some of other gals " Dem Wild' REDHEADS' :p......

AO-1.jpg
b70.jpg
Tz4.jpg

JD~:)

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
How many eggs does the large female produce on average per year?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
How many eggs does the large female produce on average per year?

40-60 eggs from Q liz ....... this year so far 30 hatchlings successful with 27 more eggs in the bator now!

average clutch size 6 -8 with sometimes popping out 10 ~

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Interesting... one of the reasons I got my redfoot rather than a cherry is because I had read all over the internet cherrys stay much smaller, obviously this is not always the case!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Beautiful Cherries!
Hope mine get to be nearvthat size!
Thanks for the pics!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
The problem lies in the fact that Brazil has 5 or 6 different Cherryhead "types", and they all vary in size, shape, color, etc. Some barely hit 8", while others in the south can get up in the 12" range. The LTC's I work with are right in that 8-9" range, and their F1 and F2 offspring are reflecting that same range......

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I got Pio from Tom Crutchfield when she was 2 months old. She's 5 years old now and is a little over 12 inches. I never thought she'd get that big. He said her parents were both from Brazil. You are a world of information Jeff, and I always enjoy your pictures.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
The problem lies in the fact that Brazil has 5 or 6 different Cherryhead "types", and they all vary in size, shape, color, etc. Some barely hit 8", while others in the south can get up in the 12" range. The LTC's I work with are right in that 8-9" range, and their F1 and F2 offspring are reflecting that same range......

Eric your right ..... like the last 10 years of debates of local regions and differences between RF's - Cherrys ... sub groups ect. I myself at one time owned some of those so called dwarfs. I believe they came from Fife... then to Wanda and Joe ....and next to me ... finally splitting them between friends out here on the West Coast. Of the 23 or so RF's and Cherries I have now ( adults) all the cherry heads are in the 10-12" range. With Females over the last 7 years producing viable offspring around 10" . Even then the younger females (regardless of size) always have smaller clutches. Although this year with all the effort put forth I’m getting eggs on a 30 day cycle from at least one of the females on the “ Cherry” side. I do however find it amuzing to see them advertised as a dwarf version of a redfoot and can be very mis leading to new comers within the hobby.

terryo said:
I got Pio from Tom Crutchfield when she was 2 months old. She's 5 years old now and is a little over 12 inches. I never thought she'd get that big. He said her parents were both from Brazil. You are a world of information Jeff, and I always enjoy your pictures.

Terry ... I too have one of Tom's holdbacks .... from 09' although still rather small , is by far one of the pretty boyz":p
Glad to see you and Pio are doing well ...... Happy Holidays !

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
N2TORTS said:
EricIvins said:

Eric your right ..... like the last 10 years of debates of local regions and differences between RF's - Cherrys ... sub groups ect. I myself at one time owned some of those so called dwarfs. I believe they came from Fife... then to Wanda and Joe ....and next to me ... finally splitting them between friends out here on the West Coast. Of the 23 or so RF's and Cherries I have now ( adults) all the cherry heads are in the 10-12" range. With Females over the last 7 years producing viable offspring around 10" . Even then the younger females (regardless of size) always have smaller clutches. Although this year with all the effort put forth I’m getting eggs on a 30 day cycle from at least one of the females on the “ Cherry” side. I do however find it amuzing to see them advertised as a dwarf version of a redfoot and can be very mis leading to new comers within the hobby.

terryo said:

Terry ... I too have one of Tom's holdbacks .... from 09' although still rather small , is by far one of the pretty boyz":p
Glad to see you and Pio are doing well ...... Happy Holidays !

Good point JD. A lot of misleading info on new comers. Sometimes it can get very confusing to people even knowing the difference of a red or yellow. At that the numerous races of reds and cherries. If I may can I post a pic of one of my "true dwarf" wee tiny cherry here on your thread?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Kelly For sure! .....:)
I'll dig up some old pics too ......( if I can find them ) :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Alllllrighty then. I posted him a while ago. His name is lipstick Lou. Had him for 8 years and he was 2 when I got him. So he is pretty wee tiny for a cherry. Does not stop him from being a good breeder though :D He is a little over 8"

photo21_zps9c0b9ec2.jpg

photo22_zps33dab1f4.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Ok .... here is the first Cherries....the " dwarf group" I got back in 1998.
ADCHGR.jpg
ADF1.jpg
ADF1a.jpg
ADF2.jpg
ADF2a.jpg
ADM1.jpg
ADM1A.jpg
ADM2.jpg
ACHM2.jpg
ACHM.jpg
ACHF2.jpg
ACHF.jpg

Interesting note .....if you view the MALES....compare their "man hood tail" vs. the overall SCL ...... quiet large eh?

Kelly ... Mr. Lipstick Lou> .....is one good looking fella'
by any chance is that the Maybelline " fall Fire dance red" :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah they really are. Nice JD. I have noticed that about Lou too. His tail is massive compared to his SCl. Kinda like a normal male sized tail but in a wee body.

Well maybe take that back, Ive seen some HUGE tails on my normal reds. but still quite a biggen on the "dwarf" guys.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Some of the current Big boyz N gals ... on the " cherry side"
AC4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.