Wrong eggs

BabyJack

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
Hello. Here is a concern about some egga that one of my female is having. For the second time, my full grown female layed hard eggs that seems like boiled eggs. Today, she layed 6 eggs and 3 were bad as its look like a hen boiled eggs.

Any idea what it would be? 20200801_092252.jpg20200801_092252.jpg20200801_092249.jpg

BabyJack

10 Year Member!
Puerto Rico
Here are today pics, the previous was the first time last year.

Attachments

• 20210313_211630.jpg
    20210313_211630.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210313_210622.jpg
    20210313_210622.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I have never seen this. Is she getting enough calcium in her diet? Does she have a cuttlebone in her enclosure. Does she have enough UV?

BabyJack

10 Year Member!
Puerto Rico
I have never seen this. Is she getting enough calcium in her diet? Does she have a cuttlebone in her enclosure. Does she have enough UV?
She does have calcium and live outside at the backyard were she have the sun light available all the time.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I have seen severely over-calcified retained eggs that looked like this, but they never broke open when laid.

My female habitually retains her eggs too long. Still trying to understand why.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry. . . I have never seen this before. Does the tortoise seem to be acting normal?

BabyJack

10 Year Member!
Puerto Rico
Sorry. . . I have never seen this before. Does the tortoise seem to be acting normal?
Hello Yvonne, yes she does. She is very active, eating and drinking well, pooping normal, walking all around the patio, very active with the boy. I have her since last year and the previous owner didnt saw her laying. She layed 3 times last year and all were not fertile. First clutch 6-7eggs, second time she layed does 2 eggs on the 1st pic and the 3rd time she layed 3 and i found it too late burried. This year so far one clutch, 2 looks good, one over calcified and 3 boiled/cooked bad eggs = 6 eggs.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I have to think she is just holding these eggs way too long; there has got to be some reason she is not laying at the proper time. I would go down a list of possible issues - make sure she has good nesting spots, proper climate (temp/humidity), and solitude (if you are trying to breed, just introduce the male a few days every other week or something). Is her shell well formed (e.g. no severe pyramiding?)

Good luck. I’ve been trying to get my redfoot female sorted out too, but not much luck yet. For a couple years I got mostly over calcified eggs, finally normal looking eggs that are just infertile. She has laid 16 eggs in the past year, all duds.

BabyJack

10 Year Member!
Puerto Rico
Yes, just like you wrote, I was wondering if the lack of nesting area make her hold eggs too much time and know she needs time to get in good period to lay properly again. The male is often on top of her, that can be another type of stress factor to end eggs like this? She is not afraid or seem hiding of him tho.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Yes, just like you wrote, I was wondering if the lack of nesting area make her hold eggs too much time and know she needs time to get in good period to lay properly again. The male is often on top of her, that can be another type of stress factor to end eggs like this? She is not afraid or seem hiding of him tho.

Yeah, could be factors. How many redfoots do you have and how large is the enclosure? If it's just the 1.1, there is certainly stress and harassment involved. Despite redfoots being widely called a "peaceful" species, they are actually pretty aggressive in my experience.

Steve

BabyJack

10 Year Member!
Puerto Rico
Enclosure is about 20x30 feet. The male had 3 females but i removed 2 cuz he was trying to bite them often. Now its 1:1 has the begining. He doesnt bite that female.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Enclosure is about 20x30 feet. The male had 3 females but i removed 2 cuz he was trying to bite them often. Now its 1:1 has the begining. He doesnt bite that female.
Really?? Humping her all the time is just as harmful to her as biting her. She can get away from a male in the wild. She can't get away from him in a small enclosure.

BabyJack

10 Year Member!
Puerto Rico
Really?? Humping her all the time is just as harmful to her as biting her. She can get away from a male in the wild. She can't get away from him in a small enclosure.
I know, im taking the male apart too. Working on it...