Status
Not open for further replies.

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny So Cal, USA
Hey guys,
when feeding turdboy today, i noticed one of his spurs from the front of his front leg was missing and it was all red. I assume in the wild they are fine with this type of wound, but i have sprayed it with blu-kote (vetrinary antiseptic and protective wound dressing i use on the horses). Is there anything more I should be doing or watching for?

Thanks!
anna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Anna: If its at all moist, it might attract flies to come and lay eggs on it. You can keep a layer of triple antibiotic ointment over the red part. Have you figured out how this happened? Could there possibly be a rat that is interested in chewing on Turdboy? I didn't think I had rats...mice, yes, but rats? But the other evening when I went into the shed to clean up and turn on night lights for the Yellowfoot tortoises I saw a big rat eating their left-over food. I chased him out of the shed and closed the doors, then next day bought several D-Cons and set them up around the tortoise areas. That evening I found a really wet (I have 6 cats) dead rat by the aviary. It looked like the live one I saw the day before, but who can really tell. Long story just to ask about rats, huh? But if they're hungry enough, they will chew on tortoises...usually hibernating tortoises, but ???

Yvonne

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
It looks like he caught it on something... probably climing around the garden. there are no other wounds on him, no bite marks. Its just one of the big scales gone.
It was dry looking, no flies on it. the spay i use on the horses, it seems to have a nasty taste to the files, as it keeps them away.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Be careful what you use. Some of those horse products can be toxic for other animals.
Just keep an eye on it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Anna, I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it stays clean and dry and does not get infected. I'm sure he will be fine under your watchful eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.