Would this be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
So today I am going to draw around crush every month so see if he is growing, but just for coinsidance...

Could i put a line (marker pen) in between 1 shute and see how much it grows within a month? Or s this a possible big no no.. I havent done it, and wont untill i get your permission or you tell me not to

xxxxx

P220210_16310001.jpg

Above is measurements of crush, does this seem ok? Bad? I have been told here befor he is around 4? Anybody think different?

Thanks xx

Homerist

10 Year Member!
no. don't leave any man made chemical compound on your tortoise and/or any others animals.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Every year I right my phone number on my DTs shell with a sharpie, in case they get lost. Been doing it for over 10 years. Don't worry so much....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its ok to put a line on the tortoise, however, don't put it in between the scutes. That part is tender new growth.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I've tried to draw an outline of Nelson to keep track of his growth but he's too squirmy! The kid won't sit still for more than a second :rolleyes: I gave up after I ended up with an oddly shaped pencil scribble. So good for you!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Generally, it is enough to do a straight-line carapace measurement and weight regularly (for me, this is every couple weeks when very small, then every month for a while. Apparently, I have decided to go to quarterly, since that is how long it has been for me!

Besides these 2 numbers, you can also measure and track things like 'curved line carapace length, plastron length and width, and the ring counts on a selected plastron scute. They are fun to track but not a big deal for most of us.

I also take archival photos when they are weighed- top, bottom, side, and head on a plain background with a ruler... usually.

I also do this in metric- it is easier to work with and usually more accurate.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i just do a front a back mark....

heres my chicken scratching

It was my first time, so its not perfected yet.. so no Poop talking on it!

measurement001.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that's beautiful, Kymii. You will have an artistic record to keep as a keep sake, just like a pair of bronzed baby shoes. You just have to hope that during the next couple of tracings he doesn't pee or poo on your pretty sketch!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Hehe, pee or poop, I never thought of that!
I hop not, that took me a while, I prefer things clear for me & not messy, someties I cant read my own writing!
Naughty me: Well the last time i weighed him he was 183g (last october)
so he has put on weight!

YEP It was very hard to do, arms were going everywhere! They are strong! But I gave him some lettuce and he was gurrrd!

xxx

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Kymiie said:
Hehe, pee or poop, I never thought of that!
I hop not, that took me a while, I prefer things clear for me & not messy, someties I cant read my own writing!
Naughty me: Well the last time i weighed him he was 183g (last october)
so he has put on weight!

YEP It was very hard to do, arms were going everywhere! They are strong! But I gave him some lettuce and he was gurrrd!

xxx

HAHAA
good idea, a bribe!

Status
Not open for further replies.