Would I be able to trap humidity in here?

Julian32122

Location (City and/or State)
Vallejo
I am upgrading the enclosure for my 4-month old Russian tortoise to a 6ft x 2ft space by putting together two Zoo Med Tortoise House’s.

The only issue is that they are mostly open-top and I suspect there will be issues with retaining humidity. I want to make sure that I get my humidity in check though. Would It be possible to make the darker area of the enclosure that’s hidden humid enough for my tortoise? If so, how would I do it? If it’s not possible, would a plastic humid hide be good enough to keep my tortoise happy and healthy? Thank you in advance29BB7AC3-892A-444F-92E3-15779175741F.jpeg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The problem is that the baby needs the 80% humidity all the time. An inverted bin put inside the dark area would be great for a humid hide where he sleeps.

But the entire top needs to be closed in to keep the whole enclosure humid. I know plexiglass is hard to come by right now, but it would be one option.

Julian32122

Vallejo
Ah, ok! Thank you for sharing.

I know that estimating a tortoises age is usually very difficult, but I think that my tortoise is a bit older than what the store clerk told me as it doesn’t look too young. Would you think it’s safe to say it is at least a year old? It is about 3 - 3.5 inches.

Attachments

• DD5B0EF6-2E6A-467C-A8B9-BD5F85D3EE06.jpeg
    DD5B0EF6-2E6A-467C-A8B9-BD5F85D3EE06.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 1EB2F8E6-2B7A-4B17-8B5F-9100A9957590.jpeg
    1EB2F8E6-2B7A-4B17-8B5F-9100A9957590.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It's still pretty small. Where did you get it?
The dots on its shell is something breeders usually do to identify individuals. His are still bright and not worn, so I don't think he's very old.
I'm sure someone else will have a much better idea than me. I'm terrible at guessing age.

Julian32122

Vallejo
I got it from a small local reptile business that has a good reputation. All of their tortoises are captive bred from local breeders according to them. It most likely is pretty young then I guess :)

I’ve had it in a 4x2ft tortoise table enclosure for about five days, but realized that the humidity levels are too low. I will purchase plexiglass and cover up the open areas on my new enclosure for now. It’ll be about 80% covered so hopefully that retains good humidity with frequent misting. The only issue I have is that I can’t fully cover it as the Mercury Vapor Bulb and CHE need somewhere to fit in. I would also love to take my tortoise out right now but unfortunately California just got hit with the cold winter weather.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I got it from a small local reptile business that has a good reputation. All of their tortoises are captive bred from local breeders according to them.

I’ve had it in a 4x2ft tortoise table enclosure for about five days, but realized that the humidity levels are too low. I will purchase plexiglass and cover up the open areas on my new enclosure for now. It’ll be about 80% covered so hopefully that retains good humidity with frequent misting.
I just wanted to say, he's a really pretty tortoise