Worst tort day ever - a cautionary tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
This morning I fed the torties and then started to get myself ready for the day. While I was brushing my teeth Chris yelled for me to come look at Mr.T and said he was acting strangely. He was rocking back and forth like he was trying to scratch his shell on the side of the hide. Then he started rubbing his face with his leg, and took off running like he was trying to escape something. Turns out he had a green aphid crawling on him, and when we looked carefully at the substrate, they were in there too.

We took everything out (after a quick trip to the LPS to get a new bag of substrate), scrubbed it all down and washed the torties. We rebuilt the habitat and put some fresh food in (this took up the whole morning). The babies were happily munching away, but Chris looked in and spotted another green aphid scooting across the sandstone.

I thought the bugs had come from the new hibiscus plant we bought 3 days ago, but they were actually on the kale we'd bought at Whole Foods in Chandler yesterday. That stuff is supposed to be for human consumption and all the leaves are covered with live aphids underneath!

And it only gets better... we put some pebbles in to fill the gaps in the sandstone (when it's filled with substrate they drag it around the food area) and Gunny ate one. It was round-ish and about 7mm, I saw him eat it, but I couldn't get it out of his mouth in time. I immediately called our vet (and we took all the pebbles out of course) and he told us to watch him carefully for any changes in appetite or excrement that could indicate he's not going to pass the pebble. Fingers crossed he'll be okay.

Lessons of the day 1) inspect your food very carefully no matter where you get it 2) remove anything inedible your tort could swallow in their enclosure, Even if they've never eaten it before, they can still decide to be stupid sometimes and eat rocks.

-Devon

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
WHOLE FOODS?!?! REALLY?!?! I thought they were beyond reproach! Sorry you had to go through this, Devon! Lesson learned by all of us...hopefully not at your expense! Good luck with Gunny!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Well, on the positive side, aphids on your kale mean that it's not loaded with chemicals. I can't imagine that the aphids were an annoyance to your torts, though. My torts have all manner of tiny bugs in their substrate and don't ever seem to notice.
I hope Gunny passes his pebble with no problem. Babies seem to be like colts: If there's a way to get into trouble, they're going to find it.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Edna said:
Well, on the positive side, aphids on your kale mean that it's not loaded with chemicals. I can't imagine that the aphids were an annoyance to your torts, though. My torts have all manner of tiny bugs in their substrate and don't ever seem to notice.
I hope Gunny passes his pebble with no problem. Babies seem to be like colts: If there's a way to get into trouble, they're going to find it.

I guess Mr.T must be ticklish or something, it didn't seem to bother any of the others. Too true about the colts, it's amazing all of the ways they find to cause problems!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
aphids should not be more than a nuisance nothing more. Though I imagine it would be a little disconcerting for a tortoise to have all those bugs on him. So they are only arriving via the food and nothing else?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yikes, I just passed that same store and thought I could get some good tortoise food there.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I really appreciate this post since I shop at Whole Foods!!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Last week I was prepping all my tort salads for the week (endive, escarole, green leaf, red leaf, romaine, kale, collards) and I saw everything from lady bugs to flies to ants in the bunches...from Food Emporium.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
aphids should not be more than a nuisance nothing more. Though I imagine it would be a little disconcerting for a tortoise to have all those bugs on him. So they are only arriving via the food and nothing else?

I can't find anywhere else they could have come from. The kale was still in those plastic bags from the store and there are about 2-3 dozen aphids on the underside of each leaf. Hopefully I caught them before they got on anything else in my fridge. I would have thought the fridge temps would be enough to kill them but apparently not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First thing I do when I bring produce home is fill up a large dishpan with cold water and wash everything off. THEN I put it away in the fridge.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
emysemys said:
First thing I do when I bring produce home is fill up a large dishpan with cold water and wash everything off. THEN I put it away in the fridge.

I'm going to start doing this.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Robert said:
emysemys said:

I'm going to start doing this.

I have been washing them, but now soaking sounds better. Devon, I like that you paid attention to your tort and took care of him! They are so dependent on us.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
MMMMMM crunch crunch ..... nice seasoning on this Kale. :)

my torts would love it LOL

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Normally I wouldn't worry about aphids, since they can't directly hurt the torts, but poor Mr.T was really freaking out. I am however worried about Gunny eating the pebble, I really hope it just goes right through him without lodging anywhere.

-Devon

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I hope Gunny will be OK. Keep us posted. I would think the aphids are nothing more than a little protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.