Worrying about importing Tallula....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Danny you've tried to help me with this before, but I'm still worrying !!!!

Apparently, from what I hear from my friends, it will be hard for us to import Tallula into South Africa when we move back because she has no papers?? Does this sound normal? I know none of you are from South African nor do you work for the SA government LOL, but Im just asking if anyone thinks this could be true? Our government is PRETTTTTTTY useless. I've called, left messages, emailed, called, email called emailed called till I was blue in the face to check if I can bring a Jordanian Greek back into SA, and nada, nothing. Its starting to get to me (even though we still have two years here!) as I will pay hundreds of thousands to pay for Tallula to move back with us, she's like my child, I could never part with her???
What on earth to do....hmph. Srry, Im venting....

Well I don't HAVE hundreds of thousands but I WOULD pay that ! Lol

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stace,
I can't believe they do not call you back or why they do not answer your E-mail!!! It is very frustrating.
I am sure that you will find a way to bring Tallula with you.

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
hi stace, have you tried the local rescue or animal shelter? they might know where to get the paperwork started. have you moved into your new place yet? smiles

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Hello Stace,
I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'll be sending you positive light to have this issue resolved ASAP. I hope other experts can give you more practical tips.
xoxo,
Mado

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Our see-all, know-all guy is getting ready to go to a big tortoise thingey out of town, so he's probably not reading the posts much. But maybe if you send Danny a PM or email, he'll be able to help you. He seems to really know a lot about shipping, moving tortoises between countries, etc.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Stace your government doesn't sound too different from ours.....have you ever tried getting the RIGHT information from our government offices? Good luck with that one. I'm sure Danny will be able to help you or maybe even Kelly. I though Danny was going to Florida for a week, but I'm sure he'll help you with this one after all he's going to have to get all of his tortoises to the UK by 2010 right? :D

Stazz

5 Year Member
Lol it's not a train smash right now, I'm just really interested to know how I would get T back into SA. I keep hearing stories that it'll cost more than a car etc etc, so interested to know the ins and outs. I've actually asked Danny before, he gave me a website, and I email those people, many times, but no reply. It won't be for a while still lol, we're here for another two years! But you know, it's good to be prepared ! :p I'm a bit OCD when it comes to things like that lol. Thanks for all the comments !!! Tallula and I really appreciate all the love :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Stace I know you want to get all this settled NOW. But lots of things can happen in 2 years. Don't stress over it. You have time. Continue to bug them with emails. maybe even your family in SA can get involved and start emailing or calling to ask the questions. I really believe in "where there is a will there is a way" :). Be positive, you don't want Tallula to feel you being upset. ;)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Stace, just a thought, how about contacting a vet on either end? They may have info on some of that. I know At my job we don't have the specific guidelines for travel, say on a plane, but we do know the basic.Most of the time government officials don't know, therefore don't respond. Maybe you could call and ask about info on say a 'regular" pet like a dog or cat and maybe get basic info? I know the're not the same, but maybe it's a start.

Good luck

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or, look into the shipping regulations and see about maybe shipping the tortoise.

Yvonne

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I would be very nervous shipping anything living internationally unless you had a shipping broker you could trust to hound the package thru every step of the way.

Not sure how rigid customs at each airport is, but could you just put it in your carry on bag? I've seen stranger things on international flights between countries (the USA not being one of them).

Stazz

5 Year Member
Lol I'll try all of that !! But yeah Robyn you're right, lol, much can happen in two years :p I'll try stop stressing about it now!
I know a friend of mine smuggled a terrapin in his pants from Thailand or somewhere like that - he's still got scars to prove it hahaha.

Betts, I have def thought of that idea too - but imagine I get caught and Tallula is sent away? I couldnt live with myself then. Although I HAVE daydreamed of taking her in my handbag hehehe.

Yvonne thanks, I'll try find out shipping regulations - is that like basically can you ship a live animal? That would be way easier !!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I did a couple of searches on ask about taking animals into south africa and I could not find any info. the closest I could come up with was peopel emigrating into South Africa. How was it taking her out of there? did they give you any problems?

wait just checked google and I found this www.southafrica-newyork.net/consulate/animals.htm, I hope this helps, they said most animals require quaratine on a expat South African forum, but I think it only meant cats and dogs. no specific mention of turtles, I hope this helps.

sorry for the multi posts I also found this on yahoo answers answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid...

Stazz

5 Year Member
Thanks a mill dmmj !!! We bought Tallula here, so thats why I'm thinking of what it'll be like and what to do to get her into SA when we move back there.
Neither of those links are working on my side though....Dubai internet is weird sometimes !!! Thanks so much for your time though :D Much appreciated!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Stace ~

You know, the only paperwork I can think of that might be required would be a clean bill of health from the vet; you know.. no worms, no parasites, etc... I know it was required for my dogs to fly from NC to CA. Nay may've been on to something...

And yeah, I can seriously understand, as I'll hopefully be moving Northward in 2010 & can hardly wait. I had trouble on a train with a small Leo in a little carry box going from CA to NC years back. This time, I'll drive & avoid any hassles.

Best of wishes to you & Tallula,
Purpod :p

Stazz

5 Year Member
Yeah I hope its just that I need to get an import permit and clean bill of health for her, like you would do with a dog or cat to get into South Africa. I just hope they allow reptiles to go into SA, Im SURE they do !

Exciting for you to move in 2010! I would drive if I could LOL !!!

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Stace ~ Yeah, hopefully everything will fall into place without it being too costly.

And Thanx, GF: I'm sooo sooo ready to be 'paroled' from this zoo, lol, as one might say.

Have a great day!
Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.