Worried about my baby Cheryhead

Chewis

So I've had my baby cherryhead for a solid 2 weeks. He's eating fairly well and loves taking baths and drinking but I still have some concerns. 2 to be exact. Firstly, it takes him a while to fully wake up and open his eyes. I'll take him for his bath and he won't open up his eyes for a few minutes. Second, the very bottom of his shell is soft. In the very center of the bottom of the shell it is soft. Enough to where it visibly goes in if touched. Should I be worried about these things or is this not a huge deal? Also, he's likely somewhere between 6 and 8 months old. Any input or advice is appreciated

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Could you post some pictures of your tort and his enclosure? What is the temperature (night, day, basking) and humidity? What type of lights do you use?

If you feel the plastron is it soft like pushing a plastic tub or more spongy / mushy? Some movement is normal.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What type of UV, UVB source does it have? It will need UVB for a healthy shell and some of the "coil" type bulbs have been shown to cause blindness and enough discomfort that tortoises seem to often act this way. (It is a common new tortoise owner issue.)

Chewis

Could you post some pictures of your tort and his enclosure? What is the temperature (night, day, basking) and humidity? What type of lights do you use?

If you feel the plastron is it soft like pushing a plastic tub or more spongy / mushy? Some movement is normal.

I have a mercury vapor bulb that keeps it at around 85-90 degrees, substrate is coconut coir and I spray it down daily. It's closer to if one was pushjng on a plastic tub.

Chewis

What type of UV, UVB source does it have? It will need UVB for a healthy shell and some of the "coil" type bulbs have been shown to cause blindness and enough discomfort that tortoises seem to often act this way. (It is a common new tortoise owner issue.)

I'm using a mercury vapor bulb for heat as well as the uva + uvb. However, he's done this since I've gotten him and it's worrying me since he hasn't stopped doing it.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
What do you use for night heat? Could he be cold at night?

Although my tort loves his MVB some say they are too bright for them. Is there enough shade for him to escape the light?

If there is just a little give on the plastron (like a plastic tub) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Chewis

What do you use for night heat? Could he be cold at night?

Although my tort loves his MVB some say they are too bright for them. Is there enough shade for him to escape the light?

If there is just a little give on the plastron (like a plastic tub) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

At night I switch to a normal incandesent meant for night-time heat. It isn't red light, though, it is more of a dark purple. So far it is the best I've used for giving off heat while staying relatively dark. And he also has a heating pad under the hide. There are two hides but he usually avoids the one that provides better shade and stays under the other but it still shades him fine. And I am worried that it might be too bright and so I am switching to a double bulb setup within the next few days.

Chewis

Can we see a set up of his environment?

Just took this. I switched his bulb and will no longer use the mvb. I'm definitely taking him to the vet tomorrow as he opened one eye but the other remained closed. I spoke with one a few days ago and he said everything sounds okay but I think he needs to be seen.

1454385382048-408346961.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Personally I would not use the blue nighttime bulb. Tortoises have excellent vision and actually see UVA light that humans cannot see at all. Those blue or purplish bulbs although they look dark to us is quite bright light to a tortoise. Use s CHE instead

Chewis

Personally I would not use the blue nighttime bulb. Tortoises have excellent vision and actually see UVA light that humans cannot see at all. Those blue or purplish bulbs although they look dark to us is quite bright light to a tortoise. Use s CHE instead

Ok, I'll definitely look into using that instead then. Thanks

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
CHE is a better choice, but I must admit that I also use the night time "black lights" that glow purple.
I have them in my outdoors pens and prefer them because I can tell at a glance on a cold night if they are on or not.
I'm in south Florida and I don't need a lot of heat, normally.