Questions about my tortiose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggle

5 Year Member
he literally hides and sleeps all day everyday ... only comes out when i take him out of his hide .. born april 29th i got him last thursday.... his bin is about 85 all day i have a heat lamp and uvb light .... i have heard conflicting things on the uvb... i never thought to touch it before but his shell is a little soft... like springy on both top and bottom ... is this ok ... i'm new to this and not really sure if this is normal. .. he looks nice his eyes are clear and he eats and poops everyday... any input would be helpful

Tuggle

5 Year Member
tortandhouse_001.jpg

tortandhouse_002.jpg

tortandhouse_003.jpg

tortandhouse_005.jpg

some pics of him/her and enclosure

tortandhouse_004.jpg

tortandhouse_003.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
He looks perfect to me. Mine stayed in his hide all day when he was a hatchling. That's what babies do. He only came out in the AM when I put his food out. Sometimes I had to take him out of his hide to feed him. As he got older, he'd come out on his own in the morning to eat and then again in the afternoon to finish what he didn't eat in th AM. I put a heat emitter on one side and a long tube 5.0 UVB on the other side. The side with the heat emitter is darker...over his hide. The other side with the long tube UVB is over a screen so the light is filtered. Low light, warm, high humidity, and he'll be fine.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Yeah, what she said.

Don't worry about the UVB a lot as a tiny baby- if you do use it, keep the levels low.

What is that row of ring things off to the side?

I'd also make the habitat more interesting for it- plants, moss, a climbing hill, etc. TerryO has some beautiful photos.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
My redfoot is the same age as yours (also hatched in April) and does the exact same thing! I have to take it out of his hide to soak and feed it everyday, otherwise it would just sleep forever. After it eats it walks around for half hour and burrows.

Tuggle

5 Year Member
terryo said:
He looks perfect to me. Mine stayed in his hide all day when he was a hatchling. That's what babies do. He only came out in the AM when I put his food out. Sometimes I had to take him out of his hide to feed him. As he got older, he'd come out on his own in the morning to eat and then again in the afternoon to finish what he didn't eat in th AM. I put a heat emitter on one side and a long tube 5.0 UVB on the other side. The side with the heat emitter is darker...over his hide. The other side with the long tube UVB is over a screen so the light is filtered. Low light, warm, high humidity, and he'll be fine.

awesome thanks so much for your help! Terry

Madkins007 said:
Yeah, what she said.

Don't worry about the UVB a lot as a tiny baby- if you do use it, keep the levels low.

What is that row of ring things off to the side?

I'd also make the habitat more interesting for it- plants, moss, a climbing hill, etc. TerryO has some beautiful photos.

thanks so much

The rings on the side are tiny pots ... plan is to have plants grow in them ... didn't get seeds yet ... not 100% on what to get yet ...

HarleyK said:
My redfoot is the same age as yours (also hatched in April) and does the exact same thing! I have to take it out of his hide to soak and feed it everyday, otherwise it would just sleep forever. After it eats it walks around for half hour and burrows.

thanks!!! yeah exact same behaviour -- after he wats walks around for like 30 min and goes back in his hide till the next feeding ... sounds more like a monster than a tort haha ..

Oh any input on the shell. ... i had expected it to be hard like a rock ... but,. . it's like kinda springy... not leathery or mushy ... still firm but ... not solid ... both top and bottom.. ??carpace?? and ??plastaron???? -- both kinda soft

Status
Not open for further replies.