Worried about Mr. Tibbs

pan1k

10 Year Member!
The weather is finally cooling off here in Southern California, nighttime temps are in the 50s so I put Mr. Tibbs in the garage with his basking lamp. He is sleeping a lot now and doesn't want to eat much either (although he IS eating somewhat..) I make sure to keep him hydrated with his water dish. He is 1.7 years old now. Should I be concerned or should I just keep on feeding him everyday and not worry?

pan1k

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
Do you have an indoor enclosure set up for him in the garage for long term housing?

I do. I used to live in an apartment, it's a Tortoise House by ZooMed. I put him back in the garage with his 100w MVB bulb. His basking area is about 87F-90F. If I get home early enough, and on weekends I take him in the backyard and let him roam. I also notice that his poops are enormous! They used to be normal size and when he goes for a walk, he is slow until he defecates. I'd be more worried if he wasn't eating but I wanted to know if he is "slowing down" due to the season change.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Sounds like the temps and type of bulb are right. How bright is your garage? Is the light on, during daytime?

And, yes, he can slow down due to seasonal changes. The shorter days--i.e., change in length and intensity of daylight--will affect his circadian and seasonal rhythms, no matter the temperature.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
His basking area is about 87F-90F.

I would strive for more like 100-105 for a basking area, this will allow him to get him to get his temps up....

Yes, this is the time of year a slow down is expected...just make sure he is aok in all other ways and the season is likely the reason for slow down...

pan1k

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
His basking area is about 87F-90F.

I would strive for more like 100-105 for a basking area, this will allow him to get him to get his temps up....

Yes, this is the time of year a slow down is expected...just make sure he is aok in all other ways and the season is likely the reason for slow down...

I adjusted his temps to 100. Took him outside for his "walk" and he sat in the sun for about 10 minutes, pooped and he took off exploring....

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I don't know how big Mr. Tibbs is, but by 1.7 years old, a Zoomed house is going to get too small for him pretty quickly. You should think about getting/making a larger enclosure.

As for lighting, a 100w is a really big bulb for such a small enclosure - I would be worried about making sure he has the proper temp range during the day (gradient temp of 80's plus basking spot of 90's), and also proper humidity, since a big bulb like that will dry things out quickly. What are you using for substrate?

Since Mr. Tibbs is now in a small enclosure, he is likely pooping less because he is walking less. Walking puts things in motion, if you know what I mean ;-) My Hermann will bask for a while and then romp like a wild man when he's cookin' up a poop.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Pokeymeg said:
I don't know how big Mr. Tibbs is, but by 1.7 years old, a Zoomed house is going to get too small for him pretty quickly. You should think about getting/making a larger enclosure.

As for lighting, a 100w is a really big bulb for such a small enclosure - I would be worried about making sure he has the proper temp range during the day (gradient temp of 80's plus basking spot of 90's), and also proper humidity, since a big bulb like that will dry things out quickly. What are you using for substrate?

Since Mr. Tibbs is now in a small enclosure, he is likely pooping less because he is walking less. Walking puts things in motion, if you know what I mean ;-) My Hermann will bask for a while and then romp like a wild man when he's cookin' up a poop.

It's about 80 in the hide house and I mist the substrate (cypress shavings) Me and my gf plan on building a larger enclosure as soon as we have more space in the garage. I had him outside in the Tortoise House but it's gotten cold so I brought him in.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Mr Tibbs is eating less everyday. I weighed him in at 110g and he's about 1.7 years old now. I adjusted the temps and took some stuff out of his cage to give him more room. Any suggestions on getting him to eat? He was a pig earlier this summer.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
pan1k said:
Mr Tibbs is eating less everyday. I weighed him in at 110g and he's about 1.7 years old now. I adjusted the temps and took some stuff out of his cage to give him more room. Any suggestions on getting him to eat? He was a pig earlier this summer.

Is he still in the garage? What's the lighting like in there? I wonder if it's a bit too dark for him? My guys started to slow down a bit, too. I found that their enclosure light alone isn't bright enough, so I increased the brightness in the whole room. Their room is bright, like standing in the shade illuminated by sunlight, during a clear summer day. They're also on a 16-hour cycle.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Jabuticaba said:
pan1k said:

Is he still in the garage? What's the lighting like in there? I wonder if it's a bit too dark for him? My guys started to slow down a bit, too. I found that their enclosure light alone isn't bright enough, so I increased the brightness in the whole room. Their room is bright, like standing in the shade illuminated by sunlight, during a clear summer day. They're also on a 16-hour cycle.

Mr Tibbs is on a 14 hr cycle. I think you are on to something with the darkness. I put another bulb in the enclosure to brighten it up. Thanks for the good idea.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
pan1k said:
Mr Tibbs is on a 14 hr cycle. I think you are on to something with the darkness. I put another bulb in the enclosure to brighten it up. Thanks for the good idea.

You're welcome! Hope Mr. Tibbs perks up a bit. Keep us posted.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Well, I think he's getting worse. He's down to 108g from 110. He loves mazuri, but now he takes one bite and he is done. Sleeps a lot. Do you think the MVB bulb is getting old? I also tried to soak him in warm water so he would urinate, which didn't seem to work. Last year, he slowed down, but not like this. I got the temp gun working.

Basking spot: 90
Hide House 70/75

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If you have to ask about your bulb, it probably needs to be replaced. How long has it been running?

pan1k

10 Year Member!
johnsonnboswell said:
If you have to ask about your bulb, it probably needs to be replaced. How long has it been running?

May 2013.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
What are his night time temps? How cold does it get when your mvb turns off?

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I will find out. He is in the garage. I don't think it's serious, but more like attempted hibernation.

Chris

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
pan1k said:
I will find out. He is in the garage. I don't think it's serious, but more like attempted hibernation.

Chris

If the garage night temp is as cold (or almost) your outdoor night temps that is probably the cause of your torts behavior.