How much to feed a Hermanns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I will be getting a scale to weigh my tortoise. Is there a good number for food weight vs. tortoise weight? I don't want Mr. Tibbs to get fat. I also found a local supplier of dandelion greens, and he LOVES them! Someone told me that the amount of food should cover the shell?:tort: I also reduce the amount of food that I feed by hand, but it seems lately when I get home Mr. Tibbs is staring at the food dish, or in the dish waiting for food!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It is very unusual for a tort to get fat.

Most people work on a rough guide of a mound of food roughly the size of his shell and then let them browse on stuff growing in their enclosure.

Joe can put away a pile twice the size of his shell and still browse on a hungry day.... and I'm pleased to say he's having a hungry few days at the moment (he lost a lot of weight)

pan1k

10 Year Member!
JoesMum said:
It is very unusual for a tort to get fat.

Most people work on a rough guide of a mound of food roughly the size of his shell and then let them browse on stuff growing in their enclosure.

Joe can put away a pile twice the size of his shell and still browse on a hungry day.... and I'm pleased to say he's having a hungry few days at the moment (he lost a lot of weight)

Ok. I try to only feed dandelion. In a pinch it's spring mix. my wildflowers should be ready in a few weeks, I take him outside to the planter and let him "mow" the grass and get some real UV.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Dandelion alone does not make a healthy diet. Use it alongside the spring mix to broaden the range of nutrients he's getting. Add in rose leaves, hibiscus, cactus pads, plantain, rocket (arugula) as well.

Your tort needs a range of broad leaved green leaves. These can be bought from a grocery store or stuff you find growing outside.

Look up stuff you can get (bought or picked) in the Tortoise Table Plant Database to see if it's good to feed and how often.

If you download this Plant Booklet, you can print it off or have it available electronically to see what's good to feed too.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
Ok, is there a good mix for him? How much dandelion greens to spring mix? Someone told me that greens interfere with calcium uptake also?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Leafy greens are a good source of dietary calcium, even for humans.

Tortoise need Vitamin D to absorb calcium which they create themselves (like you do) when exposed to UVB light from a bulb or from natural sunlight.

I'd look at any one plant providing no more than 20% of the diet across a week. If that means he gets all dandelions one day and none for the rest of the week, that's fine. The more variety you can provide the better.

Look round your grocery store and yard at every green leafed thing and write it down. Look it up on the tortoise table database that I linked to earlier. As long as it doesn't say "Do not feed", you can use it in your tort's diet.

If you buy Arugula in one shop, use it until it runs out and then buy something else next time round.

pan1k

10 Year Member!
I live in an apartment, so no yard. I am growing flowers on my patio though, along with bermuda grass, all organic, even the soil. I also sprinkle some repcal 2-3 times a week, he has a UVB bulb also. I downloaded the book, will take it with me to home depot and see what else I can find/buy. Your input has been very helpful, thanks!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Try growing St. Augustine grass...my torts love it. Nopales (prickly pear cactus pads) are a fantastic source of calcium for growing/maintaing healthy bones/shells, too. Grow these or buy them at "ethnic" grocery stores.

Also, go out and gather local "safe" weeds and dry them, along w/ dark green leafy vegetables, for winter feedings...mixed with a quality soaked Tortoise kibble (Mazuri or Marion), about a 50/50 mix, your tortoise will thrive. You can also freeze weeds/greens, and, once than, they'll gobble that down, too. Looks a lot like frozen spinach, but torts don't care.

Do you let your tort out on your patio, to get real sunshine? No artificial light is as healthful, although in the winter, you have to make do.

Status
Not open for further replies.