Worms??

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Help me out please.. I have raised many animals and it is usually wise to treat any new animal for parasites.. does this apply to Sulcata tortoises as well? If you haven’t seen any of my prior posts, I have two Sulcata hatchlings (4/10/18).. should I worm them?? And if so, what’s best to use?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I doubt such young torts will have any parasites. But if your concerned you can take a fecal sample to a vet and they can test. No point in medicating for something that isn't there

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Never treat for parasites unless you KNOW you need to.
Secondly, different parasites need different types of treatment. And most small infestations do not require treatment at all.
"Treatment" is in the form of poison. It should never be done unless required by a very good tortoise vet.
New animals should be quarantined for at least 6 months. During this time inspect and observe the new animal and its behavior, poop, etc. If they are hatchlings from the same place and time, you may initially keep them together. But you will very soon need to keep them separated after the quarantine period because Sulcata pairs don't do well together.

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Thanks y’all! They are already living separately and I have no reason to suspect that anything is wrong at all.. they are doing great! I have just never raised a Sulcata tortoise before so I wanted to check.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't recall ever worming any of my tortoises. I've done fecal checks and they always come back negative. I would not do preventative worming for any reptile. If I had reason to suspect a problem, or if I took in a wild caught animal, I would first get a fecal check to make sure I was treating for the correct parasites and using the correct dose.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I can't recall ever worming any of my tortoises. I've done fecal checks and they always come back negative. I would not do preventative worming for any reptile. If I had reason to suspect a problem, or if I took in a wild caught animal, I would first get a fecal check to make sure I was treating for the correct parasites and using the correct dose.

Thank you! I’m glad you replied. What do you think of my home made enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you! I’m glad you replied. What do you think of my home made enclosure?
I'm a terrible person to ask… If its not a 2x4 or larger closed chamber, all I'll do is complain about all the things that are wrong with it…

I do think your efforts are pretty good there for making quick changes. Those should work for a short while… While you get and set up your GIANT closed chambers!!! :)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I'm a terrible person to ask… If its not a 2x4 or larger closed chamber, all I'll do is complain about all the things that are wrong with it…

I do think your efforts are pretty good there for making quick changes. Those should work for a short while… While you get and set up your GIANT closed chambers!!! :)

Lol.. I don’t mind the complaints:) my goal is for the best of the turtles so your not going to hurt my feelings. (I read the other posts too:))

I’m just proud of the stability I ended up with regarding temps and humidity.. it took me several failed attempts to get it right.. however, it’s a very cheap set up .