Housing sulcata and leopard hatchlings together?

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
I’m hoping to get 2 sulcata and 2 leopards in the next few days. I ordered from LLLReptiles but the shipping hasn’t been confirmed. They are hatchlings and I was wondering if I can temporarily house them together in a very large closed chamber setup? It would be no longer then 2-3 weeks. Any advice about these beautiful species is welcome although I do have a adult sulcata, I haven’t had the best luck with babies in the past. I am super excited as this is a birthday present and I have been wanting another tort for ages. TYIA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't. You can buy a cheap plastic tub for one of the sets until you can afford to get another closed chamber set up. The leopards are a bit shyer than the bulldozer sulcatas. There probably wouldn't be any cross contamination to worry about, just the fact that they aren't the same temperament.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's a large enough enclosure, put a divider down the middle and down to the floor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As was already stated, disease risk is a potential problem and these two species also have very different temperaments. Bad idea to mix them. They were also bred by different people from different sources and you would be skipping quarantine to mix them. I strongly recommend against this. It isn't worth the risk. Sulcatas also need more grass in their diet than l

The other problem you'll have is after you separate them. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Trios of babies can work, but not pairs. You'll need 4 separate enclosures.