Worming Baby Tortoises

ADK

Hi, all. I have three seven month old T. t. greaca's, and one passed a 3 cm white worm during their soak this morning. After I get wormer for them from our vet (which I hope she has or can locate), what's the best way to get it in them? I was thinking put each in a small bowl with a strawberry piece soaked in liquid wormer and just keep them there until they eat the whole thing.

Thanks for any tips,
Adrienne

(I live in Morocco, so the worming may have to wait until wormer arrives in the mail.)

Kori5

What kind of a dewormer did she give you? Be careful, ivermectin is toxic to tortoises. Panacur is usually given :). You need to make sure they ate their dosage, so a small peace of favorite food with it will do it. I do feel vets should do it through tube. It is wrong to give you a dose withought weighting them :(.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think that if the tortoise can smell the de-wormer (it IS a poison, after all) they won't eat the morsel. Is it at all possible to get the tortoise's mouth open? The best way is to put the de-wormer far back on the tongue then hold the mouth closed until it's swallowed.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My Redfoot torts ate Panacur without issue smeared in small chunks of mango.
Feed them apart so that each tortoise only eats the dose determined by the vet.

ADK

It's been two weeks since I treated my little guys with Virbac smeared on dandelion leaves. Today MacBeth pooped out about twenty, 3 mm baby worms. So I guess I know who has the worst case now.

Kasia

Poland
It's been two weeks since I treated my little guys with Virbac smeared on dandelion leaves. Today MacBeth pooped out about twenty, 3 mm baby worms. So I guess I know who has the worst case now.
Repeat the treatment, sometimes it takes 2-3 sessions of deworming to get rid of all parasites. They grow in cycles so you got to be sure to hit them all :)
Good luck :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Dead worms passed out are a good sign.
Some times they are passed and some times they get absorbed by the tortoise. At least that has been my observation. Two treatments, back to back. Them one more a week later to kill any that had hatched from eggs.