Help with dog parasites

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Also, a dog that has healthy worms (the worms themselves are in good health, not the worms are beneficial) wont be shedding large quantities. Once the worms are unhealthy from the medication is when you are going to see them.

After 7 years at a vet clinic I am a fan of the "de-worm on the first visit, de-worm 3 weeks later, de-worm as needed" method. We would do it once a year for some people when they got their vaccinations and others would only have it done as a puppy or when they saw worms.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Sometimes it takes a few applications to get rid of all of the worms. So long as the pup is happy active and maintaining weight it's not an emergency, it's just disgusting. We have to de-worm our cat every couple of months because she always has tapeworms. It's just become part of the routine. Catch the cat, check for wounds from fighting with racoons, stuff pill down throat, offer treat, get snubbed for the next week because you upset the cat.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So. They first pill was a powder filled capsule.
I opened it and mixed the powder in a spoonful of her soft food. It didn't kill them all. It was Drontal plus 22.7mg.
Today the vet agreed that the worms were still in force and gave her a tapeworming injection.
The name of the drug is not on my invoice. It was very thick and took a while to load into the syringe.(it says only code 3510)
Recheck in 1.5 weeks with her last round of baby shots.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Drontal really is a great drug, I would assume she likely just had a massive parasite load. Good luck on the battle. Ivermectin is sometimes used as an injection for parasites and that stuff is a nasty mean drug. Most vets try not to use it unless they have to. (sounds like she needs the extra help though).

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Drontal really is a great drug, I would assume she likely just had a massive parasite load. Good luck on the battle. Ivermectin is sometimes used as an injection for parasites and that stuff is a nasty mean drug. Most vets try not to use it unless they have to. (sounds like she needs the extra help though).
That might be it. He said it's powerful enough to "kill the host".

M

Maggie Cummings

Ivermectin will KILL tortoises who eat dog poop after the dog had been wormed with Ivermectin. Bad Bad around tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
New question:
It's been two days and I see NO evidence of tape worm segments anymore in her poo.
IF the tape worm(s) is/are dead, would they be expelled or absorbed?
I've seen two YOUTUBE videos that my brother sent me of how huge and long these things are. Of people pulling them out of a puppies rear and they just keep on coming out!
What should I expect?
Thanks.