Wood question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I once used untreated plywood to make the sides of raised organic vegetable beds. I think they lated 2 years, and looked pretty ratty by the second year. I'm getting ready to start the outdoor enclosure for my Hermann's and would like to use untreated lumber- but I'd sure like it to last longer than 1-2 years.

If I paint untreated wood (2 x 4s, and plywood) with primer and 2 coats of outdoor paint, how long do you think it would last outside in hot, humid south Louisiana?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have used pressure treated plywood exclusively for outdoor enclosures for nearly 30 years. In areas of the country where there is high humidity, high ground moisture and poorly draining soil there really isn't any other commonly available wood product that is going to hold up to ground contact for more than a year or two. Painting or sealing the wood with a preservative may make it last longer. But by doing so you're also introducing chemicals to the wood which is what pressure treated wood already is. The biggest difference is by adding the paint or presevatives to already dried lumber there is a greater chance of chemical release than with pressure treated lumber.

There is no danger to a tortoise (or human) when using pressure treated material that is available in today's market. Being a carpenter by trade I can tell you that it's a different chemical composition and process than what was available 20+ years ago.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I share this question with moozillon...

So you are saying to just use pressure treated wood without the primer and outdoor paint?

Cuz that is exactly what i was planning to do for my outdoor enclosure. 2x4s and plywood boards primed and painted!

Status
Not open for further replies.