tort table new build

mase01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Redcar
Hi peeps,

looking to build my own hermanne table, he is 5 and I'm just going to upgrade him.

as i cannot afford to buy oak wood i have found this cheap plywood that will do the trick.

my question is, can i get a nice oak wood look with paint and also, will i need to add some form of primer on before i add the paint?

1700581464343.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just an fyi. The minimum for an adult, 5 years old is a 4x8 foot.
Yes, I would prime first and then paint. However, seeing there should be a 30-50% humidity, higher is better, you should line the inside with plastic to keep wood from rotting. Also the paint likely will not last long from shell scraping too.

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
Just an fyi. The minimum for an adult, 5 years old is a 4x8 foot.
Yes, I would prime first and then paint. However, seeing there should be a 30-50% humidity, higher is better, you should line the inside with plastic to keep wood from rotting. Also the paint likely will not last long from shell scraping too.
okay thanks for the ideas!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Is this just for the sides of the table, or is it also for the bottom? This plywood is very thin and will not be able to hold much weight or stay upright without lots of support, and it won't be very strong

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
Is this just for the sides of the table, or is it also for the bottom? This plywood is very thin and will not be able to hold much weight or stay upright without lots of support, and it won't be very strong
i was looking at for the sides and bottom, obviously adding nails and glue to hold it in place, its gonna be rested on table the same length, and im going to have things inside like hides and ramps but also glued and nailed to the sides / bottom so hopefully that would keep it stable?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
i was looking at for the sides and bottom, obviously adding nails and glue to hold it in place, its gonna be rested on table the same length, and im going to have things inside like hides and ramps but also glued and nailed to the sides / bottom so hopefully that would keep it stable?
I would add wooden planks at the bottom. If you ever will need to move the table they should keep the bottom in place. 4x8 feet with substrate height of 4 inches is about 10 cubic feet of substrate. Cypress mulch of such volume weigths about 120 pounds.