WOO HOO!!!

tortgirl123

People of the tortoise society!!! This newbie will soon no longer be a newbie!!! I just ordered my tortoise!!!! It's a 1 month old baby ibera greek tortoise from Arizona Tortoise Compound! I'm so happy I wish I could just SCREAM!!!
I seriously couldn't have done this without any of you! I owe all you a HUGE thank you! My tortoise thanks you too :) you have all taught me a lot! You've taught me how to take care of a new animal, responsibility, and how to go to others with more experience for help! You guys seriously ROCK!! I know you guys are baby picture junkies so I will be most definite to update with photos!!

Now, we've run into 1 more dilemma, what to name it!? Before I find out the sex he will be a boy, so preferably a guy name. Any suggestions? I want a COOL FREAKIN name!
Thank you guys so much! Again, I couldn't have done any of this without you!

jackmeggers

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton Roads, Va
Congratulations!! When my bf and I were naming our Greek we looked through Greek names for ideas and came up with Archimedes :D Good luck!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats and have fun! ! ! ! !

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Hate to break it to ya but.. you'll still be a newbie - but now you'll be a newbie with a tortoise :p

But seriously though, congrats! Keep up a daily journal here or in private and definitely keep posting pics. I've read great things from ATC. Oh and you actually have one more dilemma: the painstaking wait until the box is finally in your hands. Trust me, dealing with the wait is excruciating. Congrats again!

tortgirl123

pfara said:
Hate to break it to ya but.. you'll still be a newbie - but now you'll be a newbie with a tortoise :p

But seriously though, congrats! Keep up a daily journal here or in private and definitely keep posting pics. I've read great things from ATC. Oh and you actually have one more dilemma: the painstaking wait until the box is finally in your hands. Trust me, dealing with the wait is excruciating. Congrats again!

Tell me about it! He hasn't even shipped yet and I'm already crawling out of my skin!!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
When I first got my reds, I swear I thought they'd be bigger. So I ended up freaking out because some parts of the enclosure didn't cater to their size. I had to rearrange everything over the course of a week until there weren't spots for them to fall down or flip. Yeah, wait til your guy flips for the first time.. then the second :p

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well if I was you I would choise a name that means something to you and your man . So let me tell you a story 13 yrs ago my wife and had a argument not a big one but she let out " I want a devorce " so I just got my first Leopard tort to hatch . And I took him with me when I moved out. And I named him devorce . And when I moved home he came with me . Now 14 yrs later I'm still telling her if she wants a devorce she can go in the back yard and get one . But now that it's free she don't ask for one no more ! But she hates the story Evan if it's true . Good luck finding a name .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WOOHOO, CONGRATS:D. I can hear your excitement in your post. btw, your not a newbie any more, you are now considered a "member". Whatever that means. You were a member as soon as you joined. At least newbie isn't under your name any more. So you can do this :p now too pfara :D :D :D
Hope your wait goes quickly for you. Can't wait too see pics.

tortgirl123

pfara said:
When I first got my reds, I swear I thought they'd be bigger. So I ended up freaking out because some parts of the enclosure didn't cater to their size. I had to rearrange everything over the course of a week until there weren't spots for them to fall down or flip. Yeah, wait til your guy flips for the first time.. then the second :p
. M

What happens if I'm gone when he flips? I go to school from 8:30 and get home at 4:30. I do have someone who can check on him every once in a while during the day. Other than that is there anything else I can do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make the hide with straight sides, not rounded like the log hides are is one thing. Also, if you have lots of plants, planted, they will help give him something to grip onto when he is trying to right himself. Also rocks that are buried level or just a little above the substrate will also be something to grip onto.

funbean

I only had my Greek for 9 days and my wife is getting a bit jealous lol sed I'm always in with the tort and I tell her it's just a baby it needs me

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
tortgirl123 said:
pfara said:
. M

What happens if I'm gone when he flips? I go to school from 8:30 and get home at 4:30. I do have someone who can check on him every once in a while during the day. Other than that is there anything else I can do?

The best advice I can give you is: for the time being, make sure the substrate is pretty level. Also, I've read about tortoises going vertical in corners so maybe put obstacles there to prevent them from climbing. Some people say, though, to put some plants or other objects in so they can be used to help the tortoise right themselves. I dunno about that; seemed like my torts flipped because of climbing plants. In any case, don't worry too much about it. Chances are it could happen. Just keep the ground flat under heat sources. I have four reds and I had a total of 3 flips. They learn pretty fast.

tortgirl123

funbean said:
I only had my Greek for 9 days and my wife is getting a bit jealous lol sed I'm always in with the tort and I tell her it's just a baby it needs me

Lol! :p

pfara said:
tortgirl123 said:
pfara said:
. M

The best advice I can give you is: for the time being, make sure the substrate is pretty level. Also, I've read about tortoises going vertical in corners so maybe put obstacles there to prevent them from climbing. Some people say, though, to put some plants or other objects in so they can be used to help the tortoise right themselves. I dunno about that; seemed like my torts flipped because of climbing plants. In any case, don't worry too much about it. Chances are it could happen. Just keep the ground flat under heat sources. I have four reds and I had a total of 3 flips. They learn pretty fast.

Thanks for the advice! :)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Congrats:) can't wait to see pictures of your new one:) sometimes once you get your tortoise and observe him/her, a good name that fits that tort perfectly will come to you:)

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
Yay! You won't realize how much you love tortoises until you get your little guy. I didn't think i was going to love my little Obi as much as i do. Congrats and have fun on your new journey :)

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
pfara said:

LOL LOL LOL... love this comment!

But anyways, We are very happy for you and cant wait to see your set up and most important, TONS of pictures! you see, all this people here are addicts and they need their daily doze of cuteness!

tortgirl123

Jlant85 said:
pfara said:

But anyways, We are very happy for you and cant wait to see your set up and most important, TONS of pictures! you see, all this people here are addicts and they need their daily doze of cuteness!

Wouldn't that suck if we all had to go to rehab!? I don't think we could handle it! :p

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
tortgirl123 said:
Jlant85 said:
pfara said:

Wouldn't that suck if we all had to go to rehab!? I don't think we could handle it! :p

Hah! I think a lot of people here would say that their torts ARE their rehab. Their personalities are so out there from calm and peaceful, to silly, to crazy that you just can't help but put the hectic world aside and relax with them.