Wont eat grass hay? this is how I do it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mine wont eat it on thier own. So I take what they will eat and place it on a pile of Grass hay. Then I sprinkle more hay over thier liked food. If they want to eat what they like,, they HAVE to also eat some grass hay with it. It works, I I know they are getting what they Should have as well as what they want.. and its cheaper.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
lucky you! I try that! and then when he bites down on some hay and feels it he spits it out and picks out the good stuff. then when I ground anything up or puree it and pour it over, he ignores it and it gets mold and it's a complete waste! I left him with a pile of timothy, orchard grass hay, and mazuri. let's see if tough love works on him...but I'm thinking he'll trample it, pee on it, get cypress mixed in it and it will be a waste yet again...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its definately an aquired taste for them. How big is your guy?
try copping up the hay.. the soft grassy parts.. and sprinkle it over damp greens. or do the 'shake and bake' thing. put the greens in a bag with the sopped hay.. and shake.. feed that..

Katherine

5 Year Member
I have the opposite problem and a barren back yard to show for it haha. We "rotate pasture" now bc no amount of grass hay (or other food) keeps them from munching our yard grass to the root. Tortoise owner ship perk? They mow the lawn : )

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
he's about a foot long. he'll eat grass, but not the dry stuff in the bag. I soak it, I mix in greens, even romaine. I guess I can try chopping the hay more finely, it's just kind of tedious work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good post Laura. This works for me too. With a new tort, I will sometimes chop up the dry hay and rehydrate it a bit before mixing it in too. If you just spray the hay with water and let it sit for a minute it starts to look like real fresh grass again.

Status
Not open for further replies.