Orchard Grass Pellets

kyle12345w

Has anyone fed these orchard grass pellets to their torts? I have an almost 4 year old sulcata and I'm trying to incorporate more grass/hay into his diet. I already cut up his hay and mix it with his greens and I also mix moistened zoo med grassland tortoise pellets and cut up hay with his mazuri a couple of times a week but I just don't think he is eating enough grass/hay because he refuses to eat the hay on its own. Thank you in advance!Screenshot_2018-03-14-11-43-06.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like the orchard grass cubes over the pellets. Longer fibers and breaks up easily when soaked for 10 min or so. All my tortoises eat it. I will also mix it with Mazuri - about 2:1 by volume once soaked. Cubes : Mazuri They all really like that, and it substantially increases the fiber content of the diet.

kyle12345w

I like the orchard grass cubes over the pellets. Longer fibers and breaks up easily when soaked for 10 min or so. All my tortoises eat it. I will also mix it with Mazuri - about 2:1 by volume once soaked. Cubes : Mazuri They all really like that, and it substantially increases the fiber content of the diet.
Do you know the brand of the cubes you feed? I haven't been able to find any orchard grass cubes locally so I may need to order some. Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use the pellets. I do want to get the cube next time. I have used the cubes before. I think I got them from the pet store. I and my torts liked the cube better.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Do you know the brand of the cubes you feed? I haven't been able to find any orchard grass cubes locally so I may need to order some. Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it!
I had to have my local feed store (which is quite large and stocks a lot of stuff) order it for me. The last time, I had to get a blend of orchard hay and alfalfa. A 50 lb bag is about $15. When you soak it, it expands about 4X its size - so that's a lot of hay. When soaked it also becomes very nice, cut strands of hay that are very soft and easily eaten even by my smaller tortoises.

SULCY

NEW YORK
I will look for the cubes also I like the idea of longer strands.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, I use those pellets. Looking to get the cubes next time. I add a cup or so on top of dandelion greens and mazuri. Once they get scattered...a bit harder to chase down and eat.