Winter soaking

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
How often do you soak your larger torts in the winter?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I have two 4 year old males who weigh over 90 lbs each. It's real hard to get them into a cement mixing tub for soakings. I try to get them into a soak at least once a week, IF I get help lifting them or lifting a 5 gallon bucket of real hot water for the tub. I would hose them down on real hot days, but winter days are often dry and that's tough! My heart breaks for them when I see their scaly looking skin. I know they need soaks cause they're outside in 80 degree dry winter weather. When they go in for the night, I have a humidifier running and humidity is at 80%. They're good until I let them out the next morning where they leave their warm, humid enclosure. All I can do is hose them from time to time and provide lots of water dishes. If anyone has a good idea to soak these big guys w/o breaking my back, I'm all ears. Btw, I use a big pan with a gallon of water in it and place it inside their enclosure. The pan is actually a pan for hot water heaters I get from home depot. I often see them sitting in it every morning and they use it to pee and defecate. It works real well for big guys.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I am also toying with the idea of creating a shallow pond where they can self -soak outside. I actually got the idea from Aldabraman' threads where I've seen his herd enjoying baths in mud ponds, which are only holes dug out and filled with water.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
I soak them once a warm spell in winter. ;)
Riigghhtt, like when it's 85 in December? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477373510.984432.jpg
I soaked Sarge tonight, yup in our tiny shower! He was so happy and content, dinner was later then usual because I didn't have the heart to move him. Obviously he doesn't need a soak all the time, but I do think he enjoyed his spa treatment. I'll probably do a two week rotation for now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Riigghhtt, like when it's 85 in December?

Exactly! :D

I wait for an 80+ sunny day and try to soak them about once a week. If I have to skip a couple of weeks due to the cold, its no big deal. They have drinking water and humid shelters, so skipping soaks during cooler weather is not a problem.