Water during winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Those of you with large sulcatas that have to be kept in sheds or wherever during the winter months, how do you provide water? Do you in there and soak it every so often or do you have some sort of water dish for it? Mr T (apx 50-55 pounds) would probably spill or knock over any type of water dish that I would put in the shed with him (he won't drink from a dish anyway, he likes to drink from his mud puddle, go figure). So, I am figuring i'm going to have to take some water in the shed with him and force him to soak during the winter. How often do you think? Once every few days or once a week? Any other suggestions?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
good luck forcing him... can he not go outside at all? give him the option, and take a large garbage can lid, dig a small hole/indentation the size of the lid and place it, then fill with warm water when he goes outside.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
my chewy can not go out side in the winter at all. However he has an enclosure inside. He will drink out of the bowl. I do put him in the bathtub to soak 2 to 3 times a week. along with keeping water in his cage in his bowl and misitng

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is 80 pounds and is kept in a shed all winter, he wouldn't drink from a bowl at first but he does now. I guess he just got thirsty enough. I got an unspillable water dish. He can't tip it but he can push it around the floor and has gotten high centered on it a couple of times. If you get one of those bowls that won't tip and just keep fresh water in it daily and he gets thirsty enough he will learn to drink. It took Bob about 3 months. No, I don't try to soak him...

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
lucky for our winters, they're pretty mild. so we have a water dish 24/7 with fresh water every day. RV doesn't soak in the winter, but loves her mud baths in the summer months.

borjawil

10 Year Member!
So what should the humidity be kept at? Should I mist my torts enclosure? His outdoor "shed" is 12 x 8 and misting would take quite some time unless i had some kind of system. A system would be ideal but how much would they cost? Is it possible to build one? Ive got any tool i'd ever need most likely and im good with my hands so cost is really the only issue.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would not worry to much about humidity for large torts. I do think a clean water bowl is a must.

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
thanks for the info everyone, sorry for the late response. i have been so busy lately i forgot i even posted this question. i'm going to get a large bowl for him that he won't be able to tip over and put that in there.

moswen

5 Year Member
you could just go in there with the water hose every few days and clean out the enclosure, and put the hose on him a few times throughout the cleaning? then the floor and everything would be wet and humid for a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.