Winter Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Wanted to share what I am doing for the winter. This is my third winter of doing this. I usually start the first weekend of September in case something comes up. This is the first layer the inside is roughly 2.5' by 6.5':

001.jpg

When we get some acreage I will build something more permanent. For now I enjoy the exercise and the labor. The blocks are good insulation; I will put some foam on the inside for additional insulation and a wood panel on top to cover.
This year I planted grazing tortoise seed in there and covered with peat moss. I'll keep it this way for a few weeks, then stack the blocks about 4 high, put in the electric work in, and we'll be ready to go. I take one of the blocks out on the front for the door, but I didn't want them to get in there when the grass starts growing.
Here is a 12" SCL male in there for scale:

004-1.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This is where they will spend the night and cold / rainy days. I'm in AZ so even in the middle of winter they will be able to get out everyday for awhile. I think the longest they were in there last winter was 2 days straight.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I guess u are one of the lucky ones that live in a hotter country i am in the UK and unless we get a freek indian summer i do not think my little one will get any outside time till next year as it will be too cold, the temps are all ready on the too low side and unless i build a greenhouse with heaters and outer access it not going to be warm anoth for her

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tracy Gould said:
I guess u are one of the lucky ones that live in a hotter country i am in the UK and unless we get a freek indian summer i do not think my little one will get any outside time till next year as it will be too cold, the temps are all ready on the too low side and unless i build a greenhouse with heaters and outer access it not going to be warm anoth for her

It gets pretty cold during the night, around mid 30's and 40's. But the highs will be in the mid 60's or 70's and higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.