Winter activity?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Questions for you Pyxis keepers--what, if anything are your animals doing these days?
Are there any real difference between the spider tortoises and the flat tailed tortoise during the dormant period?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
My plani comes up every once in a while. He woke up and soaked himself a few days ago. Arachnoides are still down. Even with soaks and check ups the arachnoides is completely non active right now.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
My arachnids are totally inactive, with the exception of one hatchling which still moves around a bit daily. I find that as they grow, they tend to sleep more/more heavily during the winter months.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
May I know at what temperature you all kept them?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Low 70s at night during winter with dry(40-60& humidity) and 80s to low 100s in summer with RH 60 to 100%.

Standardized temperatures does not suit pyxis. They need need a natural vsriance that follows nature of madagacsan western climactic regimes. Dry to wet seasons with spikes in temperatures followed by humidity and sun light lengths.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
My lows are in the high 50s during the winter, with significantly lower humidity, as Kelly mentioned. I do use a heating element on the bottom of their enclosure, however, so their hides stay warmer and they can burrow for warmth.

I personally believe that the change in humidity between seasons has more affect on their activity levels than temperatures do.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Anthony P said:
My lows are in the high 50s during the winter, with significantly lower humidity, as Kelly mentioned. I do use a heating element on the bottom of their enclosure, however, so their hides stay warmer and they can burrow for warmth.

I personally believe that the change in humidity between seasons has more affect on their activity levels than temperatures do.

Thank you all for your reply. Good info to have.......

Thanks.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Mine don't move on their own but if I soak and offer food they will eat a few bites before sleeping again. I am keeping them in the 60's in the night and 70's in the day. They seem to seek out the coolest parts of the enclosure which was not the case during summer.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
turtlesteve said:
Mine don't move on their own but if I soak and offer food they will eat a few bites before sleeping again. I am keeping them in the 60's in the night and 70's in the day. They seem to seek out the coolest parts of the enclosure which was not the case during summer.

Good stuff Steve. I agree mine do the same.

billskleins

5 Year Member
My Pyxis are mainly down.
But I found an egg in their setup yesterday.