ESA Listing for Pyxis Tortoise

KingObeat

Location (City and/or State)
California
Got a e-mail today from USARK about this.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has made a 90-Day Finding that the listing of the Spider tortoise (Pyxis arachnoides) and the Flat-tailed tortoise (Pyxis planicauda) as threatened or endangered under the Endangered Species Act may be warranted. This includes all subspecies. If you have business, scientific, or display interests in these species, it is critical for you to provide information. Comments are due September 8, 2014.
What to do:

1. Submit relevant information and comments directly to FWS at www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FWS-HQ-ES-2014-0012-0001;
  2. Provide USARK with your concerns, relevant scientific and commercial data, and any other information you believe useful to assist us developing the Association’s comment. Email information to [email protected].
FAQ, comment guidelines and more information at www.usark.org/2014-blog/pyxis-tortoises/.

http://usark.org/2014-blog/pyxis-tortoises/

Last edited:

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I have always wanted a spider tortoise....however they are never at pet stores & I have never wanted to do the shipping process due to the amount you pay, the stress on the tortoise, & a possible dead tortoise?!?! But I really don't know how that process works anyway... But I've been wanting a spider tortoise for sometime now. They are pretty cool!!

Thanks for sharing that information!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Got a e-mail today from USARK about this.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has made a 90-Day Finding that the listing of the Spider tortoise (Pyxis arachnoides) and the Flat-tailed tortoise (Pyxis planicauda) as threatened or endangered under the Endangered Species Act may be warranted. This includes all subspecies. If you have business, scientific, or display interests in these species, it is critical for you to provide information. Comments are due September 8, 2014.
What to do:

1. Submit relevant information and comments directly to FWS at www.regulations.gov/#!submitComment;D=FWS-HQ-ES-2014-0012-0001;
  2. Provide USARK with your concerns, relevant scientific and commercial data, and any other information you believe useful to assist us developing the Association’s comment. Email information to [email protected].
FAQ, comment guidelines and more information at www.usark.org/2014-blog/pyxis-tortoises/.

http://usark.org/2014-blog/pyxis-tortoises/
Can you show/tell us about what you wrote to them?

I have always wanted a spider tortoise....however they are never at pet stores & I have never wanted to do the shipping process due to the amount you pay, the stress on the tortoise, & a possible dead tortoise?!?! But I really don't know how that process works anyway... But I've been wanting a spider tortoise for sometime now. They are pretty cool!!

Thanks for sharing that information!
No one should get ONE Spider Tortoise. All of them should be in breeding groups and keepers should consider listing them in the SSP.

Good luck! :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Ohh I didn't write anything. In all honesty I will keep with my red footed species. I think that spider tortoises are extremely beautiful and that there marking are unique. But at one point back in the day, I did look at every pet store to get one.

I just didn't know that spider tortoises were in such danger!