Will this UVB bulb hurt my tortoise's eyes .?

Moonlights

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381457450.971164.jpg I just got this new UVB bulb for my russian tortoise and I'm wondering if it'll hurt his eyes..

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely. Those are one of the types of coil bulbs we do not recommend using. Not everyone has had problems with them. However, we have seen a lot of problems on here with them. So, why chance it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It may or may not. Some of them do, and some of them don't. I wouldn't use one of those.

happyjoyjoy

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
reptisun 10.0/5.0 or a powersun are the only uvb producing bulbs I would ever use....... I use them for my torts for the same reason I use them for my beardies. They give of the most UVB and they do not have a history of damaging reptiles eyes. + the reptisuns last forever and run the full length of your enclosure if you get the proper size which will ensure your tort is always getting the rays :) You can get a cheap fixture for them at walmart and can install them on the inside of your tank. A lot of bearded dragon forums have examples of this and there are videos on youtube giving instructions. GoodLuck!

Moonlights

5 Year Member
Currently I got a fluorescent tube light in there that provides heat and SUPPOSEDLY some UVB is produced by tube lights . Like the kind they use in an aquarium

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Moonlights said:
Currently I got a fluorescent tube light in there that provides heat and SUPPOSEDLY some UVB is produced by tube lights . Like the kind they use in an aquarium

You can use a tube bulb that is designed to fit in that fixture that will give off UV.

Those bulbs don't usually give off any heat. You will still need a basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent bulbs from the hardware store for this. Adjust the height of the fixture to get the right baking temp.

Moonlights

5 Year Member
It's not supposed to fix into any fixture, it just a fluorescent tube. It keeps the whole cage at around 75-82 degrees at all times

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Moonlights said:

Besides the fact fluorescent bulbs do not give off heat, they do not give off UVB either, unless it says it does. An ordinary fluorescent tube bulb does not give UVB.
Just wanted to make sure your using the right bulb and that you add heat if your tort needs it.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Will this UVB bulb hurt my tortoise's eyes .?

Moonlights said:

Full spectrum florescent light tubes used in aquariums do not provide any adequate UVB for reptiles. It needs to be a specific UVB tube for reptiles. For a Russian tort desert 10% UVB bulb series is recommended. Zoomed would be one of the more reputable brands.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Brianrett

reptisun 10.0/5.0 or a powersun are the only uvb producing bulbs I would ever use....... I use them for my torts for the same reason I use them for my beardies. They give of the most UVB and they do not have a history of damaging reptiles eyes. + the reptisuns last forever and run the full length of your enclosure if you get the proper size which will ensure your tort is always getting the rays :) You can get a cheap fixture for them at walmart and can install them on the inside of your tank. A lot of bearded dragon forums have examples of this and there are videos on youtube giving instructions. GoodLuck!
Can I use the Exo-Terra reptile uvb bulb for my Sulcata tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's not supposed to fix into any fixture, it just a fluorescent tube. It keeps the whole cage at around 75-82 degrees at all times

What species are we talking about?

Are you aware that your tortoise also needs a warmer basking area where it can get its body temp up into the high 90's?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I use the Exo-Terra reptile uvb bulb for my Sulcata tortoise?

Depends on what type. If its a screw in cfl type, then no, I would not use it. If its the long tube type, then it should be fine. Just know that regular UV tubes will need to be fairly close to the tortoise to get any UV benefit. No more than about 12".

A good UV meter is essential for assessing this.