will he know how to hibernate?

Maisie15

Dear All, this summer we bought a Russian tortoise, 3 yrs old, from a U.S. breeder in Virginia. We live in the Richmond area where it's generally warm but we are expecting very cold nights, below freezing, in the next few days. I understand that some tortoise owners let tortoises hibernate naturally and others prevent them from it. I'm unable to find out whether my tortoise has hibernated before. He's in a huge enclosure outside with plenty of room for digging, but he's not making any moves toward digging. He just sits still and doesn't eat much. It may be ridiculous, but I'm worried he doesn't know how to hibernate. Is that something to worry about? Or should we just let him work it out for himself?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Please read the very many threads available on hibernation.

There's also a so-called "Beginners' Thread." These will certainly help you.:)

Kindly post pics of your tort as well as its enclosure.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Letting them hibernate on their own outside is often a death sentence. This is not the climate they have evolved to deal with, and mother nature often throws cruel curve balls at them. If you are going to hibernate, do it indoors in safe controlled conditions after a proper lead in time.

Maisie15

Please read the very many threads available on hibernation.

There's also a so-called "Beginners' Thread." These will certainly help you.:)

Kindly post pics of your tort as well as its enclosure.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Thank you so much! I did read several posts about hibernation on the FAQ list, but I was puzzled by the phrase "get him ready to hibernate"--I'm not sure how to do that and wasn't able to find an answer after much searching.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't panic! ;) Hibernation I think is the owner of the tort's choice. I have had OLI :<3: for about 4.5 years.He did hibernate the first year. However, he did no at a later stage. My explanation is as follows:

1) temperature at home is obviously much warmer than it is outside, with central heating system and an electric heater on, let alone OLI's light in his enclosure.

2) OLI got used to:the flat, climate, environment, and me.:p (Please keep in mind that torts take quite long to adapt).

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Maisie, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
It seems not to be generally done to let a tortoise hibernate in it's first winter in a new home, as I understand it. There is an increased element of risk.
It would be better, in my opinion, to overwinter him indoors in his enclosure, keeping the temps up and offering tasty tidbits. he will soon lose the urge to hibernate and resort to normal in my experience.
i have never let my Tidgy hibernate (she's a Greek, another Testudo species), she gets sluggish for a while at this time of year, but soon recovers.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would bring him inside for the winter. Since he is new to you I would keep him up this winter in a nice warm and bright enclosure.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello, I am a little north of you,(westmoreland co) my russians have been digging in shallow and coming back out to get some sun for a couple weeks now. I stopped offering food to them. The ones that are out today are being brought inside to the cool garage to start getting them ready for a couple month rest. If I don't see them today i figure they are down for the winter If yours has not shown any sign of digging in by now I would bring him in also. This is only my 3rd winter with russians and I have a lot to learn. But I haven't lost any yet.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hibernating outside on their own is an iffy preposition. mine hibernate outside but inside the shed to protect them from extreme weather and rain. getting them ready for hibernation basically means empty stomach full bladder