Will birds attack my tortoise during bath time?

kohailovely

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello,

I have a baby Horsefield Tortoise, he lives indoors most of the time but on sunny days we will take him outside for 1-2 hours to give him a bath and let him roam.

But I have fears of him getting taken by birds, we live in the UK and when he's outside we are always by his side, my wife says I'm being paranoid and that birds won't attack while we're right next to him but I'm not convinced.

I've searched online and all posts seem to be about leaving a tort unsupervised, is he safe during supervision?

Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello,

I have a baby Horsefield Tortoise, he lives indoors most of the time but on sunny days we will take him outside for 1-2 hours to give him a bath and let him roam.

But I have fears of him getting taken by birds, we live in the UK and when he's outside we are always by his side, my wife says I'm being paranoid and that birds won't attack while we're right next to him but I'm not convinced.

I've searched online and all posts seem to be about leaving a tort unsupervised, is he safe during supervision?

Thanks
What size is he? Usually, once they are over about 4-5 inches, no bird will mess with them. If you are concerned, you could make an enclosure with a welded wire lid, or erect a large cage of some sort for the tortoise to run around in. Like these, for example:
7907461_orig.jpg

IMG_7276.jpg