Food fixation T_T Heeeelp! D:

desiree

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
My kinixys nogueyi spent 6 months refusing to eat (and literally crawling over) anything else than "tertúlio", a species of mushroom we have here in Angola that they usually eat in the wild.

Very rarely he would eat a biiiit of carrot and melon. He once or twice ate some maracujá leafs cuz we had a maracujá plant on our yard. Well, he then spent like 2 months sleeping and not eating at all and I was getting really concerned but I think it was cuz temperatures went down here.

When he returned back to eating (temperatures went up), he didn't want tertúlio anymore and now he will ONLY eat apples. No matter whatelse I try to give him, including tertúlio, he will just crawl over it unless it is apple which he will eat almost a quarter of it, and only once a day.

What the heeeeell is going oooon with this dude?? D:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Although I've zero direct experience with this specie of tortoise, something that works regardless of the animal is to take the food item they are fixating on, and mash it up and smear it on other foods that they need to eat for their continued good health. As time goes by, slowly change the amount of the apple to less and less and add different food items to complete a more rounded, healthy diet.

desiree

5 Year Member
Portugal
Cowboy_Ken said:
Although I've zero direct experience with this specie of tortoise, something that works regardless of the animal is to take the food item they are fixating on, and mash it up and smear it on other foods that they need to eat for their continued good health. As time goes by, slowly change the amount of the apple to less and less and add different food items to complete a more rounded, healthy diet.

Thank you for the tip!
I will surely try that on... See if it starts eating more varieties.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great advice already given. You can also squeeze some of the apple juice over the food too.

desiree

5 Year Member
Portugal
Updating on this, I managed him to eat banana so far, but he wont eat veggies :c

Only sweet stuff like, in this case, fruits... I know apples are one of the few fruits its ok for them to eat a smore than just a treat, but I really do want him back to eating mushrooms or to start eating greens...

What are some veggies I should try xcept tomato, potato and lettuce?