wild african pancake/ captive breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
hi, would anyone know if wild pancakes, and long term captives cb, get along? will they mate? i have heard alot of storys. like.... if a wild pancake comes from a different area in africa, they wont mate. i know this sounds funny and it is. i would like to get another adult female. mine are wild. anyone with 2 cents is welcome. thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No this should not be a problem. Just quarantine the new one and do some fecals on the older ones, to be sure all is safe.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi tom, thanks i will. next is who to trust, newyork city is having a reptile show soon. wont get one there.nothing agaist them. anyone know where the good cakes are , please let me know.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
AustinASU said:
Def quarintine the WC ones, mine was gut loaded with parasitic worms when i got him, other than that they are perfect.

yup, same with me. i got mine 4-5 years ago. my first male momo died. mbd got a replacement and he was skinny, and loaded with worms. all is fine now, just he needs another girlfriend. lol'

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne and Murray know a lady out here that has CB ones every year. I got three from her. Tim of Tim/Robin gets babies every year too. I got two from him. All five are alive and thriving three years later. Hoping for babies next year or the year after.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Tom said:
Yvonne and Murray know a lady out here that has CB ones every year. I got three from her. Tim of Tim/Robin gets babies every year too. I got two from him. All five are alive and thriving three years later. Hoping for babies next year or the year after.
no more babies, i still have baby ihop. hes 6mos. now. i know it cant go in with the parents. it stinks to know i will have to part with the little one some day. i just want to see what it looks like as it gets older.will post some new pictures soon of it. but its an adult i would want. thanks.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is anecdotal loosely collected reason to think there maybe indeed there is a difference among populations, strong enough to influence reproduction. This may be more interpreted than is the reality. It could be that the reports and experiences are not as clinically perfect as would behove a better point of view than the one I suggest here.

Early in the import of pancakes most came from the northern part of the range, Luis Leaky (the famous anthropologist) funded some of his work by exporting pancakes from near his dig sites. Those individuals' eggs do not need a diapause to hatch.

The much more recent wave of pancakes coming in are from the southern most part of the range. Their eggs do seem to need a diapause to hatch.

That within one population of some species of chelonian several egg maturation scenarios are at work simultaneously, it is not so speculative to suggest there are indeed differences between populations, let alone within a population..

That should not discourage your acquiring more for potential breeding, but it is a heads-up that it is not as "in the bag" as it might seem. Maybe some of those folks Tom has referenced might share what they know if it's not secret information.

The north range pancakes I am talking about are the ones I took care of at the Philadelphia Zoo, and the documents that they had been acquired via Leakey are true, those eggs did not need a diapause at all. One of the animal keepers at ZooMed has published and talked about pancake eggs having a diapause as the key to hatching them out. The early published account of pancakes (northern source populations) such as those from the Columbus Zoo did not require a diapause.

Something is going on, YES?

Will

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
Will said:
There is anecdotal loosely collected reason to think there maybe indeed there is a difference among populations, strong enough to influence reproduction. This may be more interpreted than is the reality. It could be that the reports and experiences are not as clinically perfect as would behove a better point of view than the one I suggest here.

Early in the import of pancakes most came from the northern part of the range, Luis Leaky (the famous anthropologist) funded some of his work by exporting pancakes from near his dig sites. Those individuals' eggs do not need a diapause to hatch.

The much more recent wave of pancakes coming in are from the southern most part of the range. Their eggs do seem to need a diapause to hatch.

That within one population of some species of chelonian several egg maturation scenarios are at work simultaneously, it is not so speculative to suggest there are indeed differences between populations, let alone within a population..

That should not discourage your acquiring more for potential breeding, but it is a heads-up that it is not as "in the bag" as it might seem. Maybe some of those folks Tom has referenced might share what they know if it's not secret information.

The north range pancakes I am talking about are the ones I took care of at the Philadelphia Zoo, and the documents that they had been acquired via Leakey are true, those eggs did not need a diapause at all. One of the animal keepers at ZooMed has published and talked about pancake eggs having a diapause as the key to hatching them out. The early published account of pancakes (northern source populations) such as those from the Columbus Zoo did not require a diapause.

Something is going on, YES?

Will
Thanks Will. pancakes are a funny breed. maybe in a few years if all goes right with them, i will write the first cake book. let you know what happens. thanks again.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I think it has more to do with the time of year and/or the condition of the female when those eggs are developing and being layed than individual populations requiring different incubation periods. Those chemical cues that influence the females also influence the eggs more so than what we know, coupled with the fact that they can go dormant from ambient factors either way.

I have had eggs hatch in the normal 160 day time frame, and some taking close to, or over a year to hatch from the Zambian Pancakes, so take that for what it is worth...

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
EricIvins said:
I think it has more to do with the time of year and/or the condition of the female when those eggs are developing and being layed than individual populations requiring different incubation periods. Those chemical cues that influence the females also influence the eggs more so than what we know, coupled with the fact that they can go dormant from ambient factors either way.

I have had eggs hatch in the normal 160 day time frame, and some taking close to, or over a year to hatch from the Zambian Pancakes, so take that for what it is worth...

That is an interesting take on it, and fits with other things I have read. Good point.

The pancakes I cared for at the zoo, did not show much modulation throughout the year, nor did their eggs, but they had a steady state enclosure.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.