Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hagerstown, MD
So I went onto the Wikipedia page for Sulcatas. Its under African Spurred Tortoise first of all and secondly there is practically no information. Sulcatas are way to important to get only 5 small paragraphs! If anyone has anything they would wish to add or remove from the page I am a Wikipedia member so I can change it. To many people rely on Wikipedia for this to happen. If you look up Sulcata Tortoise on Google it is the third page that comes up. Anyone new to Sulcatas wont get a good start with this sad little page. As you can see I added a picture of Isaac just for the sake of it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't use wiki for one simple reason, anyone can post anything they want about a subject without any type of review.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't know that about Wikipedia. Whenever I have a plant to research I always use the Wikipedia explanation because they usually have whether it can be eaten or not and the plants uses.

Yvonne

Kadaan

5 Year Member
Irvine, CA
dmmj said:
I don't use wiki for one simple reason, anyone can post anything they want about a subject without any type of review.

Which, in a way, is also one of its greatest strengths! You can have a dozen people editing an article and coming to a consensus on 'facts' vs 'best practices' vs 'opinions' and have a well-rounded article for people to read. With traditional media it's usually the facts/opinions of only one or two people, and there's absolutely no way for someone else to come and debate whether some of the proposed 'facts' are actually opinions. Wikipedia supports discussion of article content like a forum to decide what belongs on the article (the 'Discussion' tab on all the pages.) If you look at some of the controversial pages (like Abortion), there are 33 full pages of archived discussion on what content should be included on the page!

If someone is found to be vandalizing pages on wikipedia, they're promptly banned and all edits they've made are reverted.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
Plus most of the fake stuff is on celebrities and politics. Never basic stuff. You really have to be invested to write about turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.