Box Turtle Shell Coloration

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
I was browsing online for info about Eastern Box Turtles and found myself reading the Wikipedia article...it had this little tidbit: "The vivid shell color found in many eastern box turtles often fades when a turtle is brought into captivity. This has led to the mistaken belief that the color fades as the turtle ages. The truth is that insufficient access to full sunlight causes the color in the keratin layer to fade."

Being Wikipedia, you gotta take things with a grain of salt, but I was wondering how true this is? And, if it is true, would access to more real sun while it is young and growing increase the chances for vibrant colors as an adult?

I'll link the Wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Box_Turtle

Thanks guys! Enjoying learning everything I can while I prepare for my 5 EBT hatchlings at the end of August. :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I don't have a lot of first hand experience with this, but I can tell you a little of what I've seen and heard. Box turtle hatchlings kept in captivity with little to no natural sunlight do have less vibrant colors than those raised in natural sunlight. I have seen very dull shells turn much brighter oranges and yellows when given to me from an indoor enclosure and added to my outdoor enclosures - but I have only seen this with young, growing turtles. I have not seen adult turtles with vibrant colors dull when kept in artificial light. I'm not saying this doesn't happen, I have just never seen it (of course I keep all mine outside 24/7 so I wouldn't see this - but I have never heard of this happening.) One thing I can say is box turtles kept in artificial light often have skin that is a funny, transparent color compared to the others - it's very noticeable. (Again, this may only happen in young turtles.) Hope that was helpful!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I don't have a lot of first hand experience with this, but I can tell you a little of what I've seen and heard. Box turtle hatchlings kept in captivity with little to no natural sunlight do have less vibrant colors than those raised in natural sunlight. I have seen very dull shells turn much brighter oranges and yellows when given to me from an indoor enclosure and added to my outdoor enclosures - but I have only seen this with young, growing turtles. I have not seen adult turtles with vibrant colors dull when kept in artificial light. I'm not saying this doesn't happen, I have just never seen it (of course I keep all mine outside 24/7 so I wouldn't see this - but I have never heard of this happening.) One thing I can say is box turtles kept in artificial light often have skin that is a funny, transparent color compared to the others - it's very noticeable. (Again, this may only happen in young turtles.) Hope that was helpful!

Interesting! Extra incentive to get them outside then. :)

Anyone else have any opinions or experience with this?