Why so domed ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

arotester

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
i want to ask a question about the domed shells of torts(sorry but i don't know about ploughshare torts)

de2cw.jpg

j91ro1.jpg

These are the pics of torts from some breeders here,
why are they so highly domed and so different than other tort?
Is it a deformity or is it normal shell growth?

panky

5 Year Member
arotester said:
Hi everyone,
i want to ask a question about the domed shells of torts(sorry but i don't know about ploughshare torts)

de2cw.jpg

j91ro1.jpg

why are they so highly domed and so different than other tort?
Is it a deformity or is it normal shell growth?

ohh..never saw so domed torts b4....dunno..

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
I don't have a real answer to your question. I see ynips in my country have various kind of shells, but majority of them are pretty high dome and shape like balls compare to other species.

I do have question for you.
Does this breeder produce the ynips on the pictures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm not going to speculate on the reason why they evolved such a high dome, but this species IS supposed to have a very high dome. Its one of their characteristics. I find it very appealing. They are sort of at the opposite end of the spectrum of a flattened pancake tortoise.

Those are some perfect looking very attractive specimens, by the way.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortoises that need to burrow have flattened carapaces, for easier movement underground. Those that don't burrow have evolved higher-domed carapaces to help them roll right side up if they've been flipped over.

An object that can always right itself is called a gomboc. It's thought that the carapaces of non-burrowing tortoises have naturally evolved into gombocs, to help them stay upright.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I think though, if truly on their back, these torts would need some vary long legs in order to reach the ground to aid in righting themselves. My pancakes have no problem righting themselves when flat on their backs due in part to their legs reaching the ground so easily.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
my dream tortoise, Where in the world are you located at. Those look perfectly healthy. If you see a flatter Ploughshare then its time to worry

Cowboy_Ken said:
I think though, if truly on their back, these torts would need some vary long legs in order to reach the ground to aid in righting themselves. My pancakes have no problem righting themselves when flat on their backs due in part to their legs reaching the ground so easily.

I was thinking along these same lines

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Well, that's the thing. Flat-backed tortoises use their limbs, while dome-backed tortoises practically roll back into position almost passively.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Ploughshare tortoises found in Madagascar are extremely rare and threatened, they are critically endangered. I don't think it's even possible to get one legally. The ones that are found on the black market are stolen from protected areas. They are one of the most attractive tortoises species because of their round high dome carapace. I hope more conservationists like Mr. Goode will find the funding needed to breed and protect them before they are extinct.

62124220.jpg
8247586302_10a5c927ca_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
arotester said:

Where is here? Are these breeders in the US? If they are, please PM me their contact info. I'd love to talk to them. :)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
They are over in Asia. Mainly Korea, but all the Asian countries get their fare share of them and any other Madagascar Tortoises. Some are having really good success with breeding them over there also.......

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Matthias Goetz, Head of Durrell’s Herpetology Department in the UK, said “Sadly, an increasing number of ploughshare tortoises have been smuggled out of Madagascar through South Asian countries where more and more have been seized by border authorities. While it has been possible to repatriate some, this is challenging and if the animals have spent time outside of Madagascar there are disease risks to bringing them back. Equally, establishing a viable international breeding program for the species has been identified as one of the key approaches to ensuring the species’ survival.”

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have also heard that the asian countries where these are being smuggled to are having good success breeding them. The perfect babies shown in the OP here, lend credence to these rumors. I think there ARE established breeding colonies in some parts of Asia. None of the three pictured tortoise look wild caught to me.

paludarium

10 Year Member!
Taiwan
Believe me, the loughshare tortoises smuggled to asian countries or mainly China were all wild-caught specimens from Madagascar. According to a local smuggler, it is hard to keep young loughshare tortoises alive, not to mention breeding them, unless they were subadults or adults. However, most loughshare tortoises in the black markets are young specimens. The authorities of Taiwan have confiscated a few specimens of loughshare tortoises and kept them in Taipei Zoo, however, even the experts in the zoo did not know how to keep the those tortoises healthy. Two years ago some of subadult loughshare tortoises were sent to US for joining one of the international breeding programs.

And for the carapace morphology of the tortoises, the following article might give us some hints: Effects of diet on the systematic utility of the tortoise carapace. But I'd like to remind that this was not a objective or prospective study.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I hope you're not complaining...because they look GORGEOUS to me! :tort: If you get tired of 'em...I'll gladly take 'em off your hands! ;)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
paludarium said:
Believe me, the loughshare tortoises smuggled to asian countries or mainly China were all wild-caught specimens from Madagascar. According to a local smuggler, it is hard to keep young loughshare tortoises alive, not to mention breeding them, unless they were subadults or adults. However, most loughshare tortoises in the black markets are young specimens. The authorities of Taiwan have confiscated a few specimens of loughshare tortoises and kept them in Taipei Zoo, however, even the experts in the zoo did not know how to keep the those tortoises healthy. Two years ago some of subadult loughshare tortoises were sent to US for joining one of the international breeding programs.

And for the carapace morphology of the tortoises, the following article might give us some hints: Effects of diet on the systematic utility of the tortoise carapace. But I'd like to remind that this was not a objective or prospective study.

Maybe I am missing YOUR point, but the point of the article is that pyramided animals can still have enough characteristics apparent in their shells that some taxonomic morphology diagnosis is still possible. That is you can tell which species is which even if the shell is distorted from a poor diet.

That is not the same thing as a high domed shell in the images shown in this thread for ploughshare tortoises. The tortoise images in this thread look like properly proportioned individuals for the species.

I do not see any mention in the article about doming a shell with a poor diet. The poor diet mentioned in the article will be a bad choice under any circumstance.

Will

paludarium

10 Year Member!
Taiwan
Will said:
Maybe I am missing YOUR point, but the point of the article is that pyramided animals can still have enough characteristics apparent in their shells that some taxonomic morphology diagnosis is still possible. That is you can tell which species is which even if the shell is distorted from a poor diet.

That is not the same thing as a high domed shell in the images shown in this thread for ploughshare tortoises. The tortoise images in this thread look like properly proportioned individuals for the species.

I do not see any mention in the article about doming a shell with a poor diet. The poor diet mentioned in the article will be a bad choice under any circumstance.

Will
Yes, you are right, this article focused mainly on pyramiding of the tortoises. But what I meant "hint" refers to the carapace slope (carapace height at the 3rd vertebral scute / height at the 1st vertebral). I speculated that the contours of the shells, either domed or flat, were determined by the carapace slopes.

The following pictures are 2 wild-caught Burmese stars, a domed one and a regular(flat) one:
2641532.jpg

8269690.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.