1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

why he slowed down!

Discussion in 'Leopard tortoises' started by Sezla, Nov 20, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Sezla

Sezla New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    England
    Hi all I need help please so many people saying so many different things! Ok so Franklin is a 9month old now doing really well he has grown his shell looking really healthy now... he is a leopard so he doesn’t hibernate but past few weeks he has slowed right down an he has gone from eating masses to not much some tortoise owners telling me it’s ok he has slowed down for winter perfectly normal others r telling me no he shouldn’t have changed! Please tell me which is correct nothing in his habitat has changed now house temp has dropped I still make sure he is still kept at correct temps day an night I’m starting to panic again just as I had started to get used to having him an relaxing a bit lol please give me ur knowledge!x ty
    Gijoux and Cathie G like this.
  2. Cathie G

Cathie G Well-Known Member

Lancaster
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hello and welcome to the TFO. I can't really advise you because I've never had a leopard. I can tell you my little Russian slows down around late fall but starts eating better around mid December. I don't hibernate him. So I don't let him sleep too long either. You came to the right site. There's so many long-term tortoise lovers here and they'll be happy to answer your questions and direct you to the right info.
    Venetia and Gijoux like this.
  3. ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
    How are you housing him?
    Has the weather gotten cooler at the same time that his eating has slowed down?
  4. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Southern California
    Is he in an open table or a closed chamber?

Temperatures have not changed? My house is way cooler in fall than it is in summer. Without a closed chamber and thermostatically controlled heating elements, the tortoise will feel the cooler weather and notice the shorter days too.

How much does your tortoise weigh? How long have you had him?