Why don't Tort's walk backwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannomite

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, perhaps there is already an answer to this question on the forum but I can't seem to find it. The picture of "Yourlocalpoet's" tortoise who was stuck in the corner of the wall and couldn't back out made me think about this a bit more and I've noticed it with Nova as well. Nova never walks backwards. Even if she is stuck somewhere she won't back up at all. I was wondering if this is similar with all torts and why they don't? It would seem that if she just backed up once in awhile she would get out of those tricky spots a lot easier. Maybe they don't walk backwards as an instinctive trait perhaps to stop them from backing right off a cliff or something? Or do they learn when they get older to back up?

-JM

5 Year Member
I think it has more to do with physiology. They physically CAN'T go backwards. I'm in a herp class right now and we haven't quite gotten to physiology of anything yet, but when we do I will be certain to ask!

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
They don't have rear view mirrors. Oh God I kill me.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've seen mine back up, not real far but they back out of places they don't want to be.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Lana uses reverse when I use my foot to try and make her go the way I want her to. She backs up and turns at the same time and is determined to go the way she wants to go.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The first time I ever saw Pio back up was when he was outside for his first summer. I found a worm, and put it in front of him....his first live protein....he backed up as fast as his little fat legs could carry him. Went forward, smelled it...backed up when it wiggled ...this went on for a few minutes, and then he went for it.

-JM

5 Year Member
I've never seen one back up :( I've seen them wheel around at extra-ordinary angles though. Do they look funny when they back-peddle?

-JM

5 Year Member
!! really? I'd love to see a video!

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Mosey has scooted back using his front legs...guess some torts don't come equipped with four wheel drive...BAdaBUM!
:p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My tort has definitely scooted backwards a few times for different reasons, it just isn't his preferred way to do it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just watched Scooter back up today. He was hunting some shade behind some wood and when it wasn't shady anymore he backed out of there and went to a new place.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
Hi,

my star backed up coupled with a turn to either his left or right in one motion. I have yet witness a direct back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.