Why did you choose to have a tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
ajlec2000 said:
Having to eat a shirt, even your own, is another reason to avoid lizards.

Pshaw. His Highness, King Man Ray is too dignified to climb walls. (Even if he physically could. Which he'll try to convince you he could if he wanted to. But he's just full of it. Vertical is a no man's land for his bearded butt. :p)

Rurouni, hear-hear on the cats. We tried having cats once. They didn't tear up furniture so much (though they did decide getting under the beds and ripping up the covering on the bottom of the box springs was SOO fun), but one of them had this incredible knack for jumping 5 feet from a stand still to knock toilet paper off the top of my parents' armoire. And ooohhh did they love toilet paper! After that experience, we all came to a family decision that none of us are cat people. Not even kind of.

mytwotortys

5 Year Member
ALDABRAMAN said:
I like BIG things!

Lol! :tort:

I was in my local pets op one day and I fell in love with this tort who was settling down for an after dinner nap an it just grew from there!!!!! Lol these are my two little babies they're horsefields I think :)

image-2676168786.png

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
When I was four, I was really into venomous snakes, crocodilians, tarantulas, and chameleons. But since my parents (and the rest of my family for that matter) hate all the things I mentioned above, I decided on turtles and tortoises. I got instantly addicted at the age of 5 when I went to a local aquarium that carried small, dime shaped RES. :D

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hmm... Interesting theory, ajlec. Though if that's the case, I have been feeding him way the wrong stuff. He's seems to be entirely convinced green things are poisonous...

mytwotortys said:
I was in my local pets op one day and I fell in love with this tort who was settling down for an after dinner nap an it just grew from there!!!!! Lol these are my two little babies they're horsefields I think :)

Yep, they are definitely Russians (AKA Horsfields). Cute little ones. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Probably a combination of the following four reasons:

1) I had two Greek tortoises when I was only about 3 years old, and then a few box turtles as a boy, so I've kind of grown up with them.
2) I unfortunately developed allergies to cats and dogs, so getting reptiles (as well as fish and amphibians) was a good alternative.
3) I wanted a nice, cute little pet, but my mother was phobic of rodents, snakes, and lizards, so turtles were a good choice.
4) I like watching tortoise behavior: the way they move, feed, and interact with each other.

For all these reasons, getting a redfoot tortoise and later two Russian tortoises made a lot of sense for me as an adult. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.