Who Wants to Name My New Tortoise???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Okay, I'm noticing that everyone here has been extremely creative at picking out names for their tortoises. My current tortoise came with the name Shelly, and he KNOWS the darn thing -- he comes when I call him, I'm not kidding -- so I don't want to change it.

However, I'll be adopting a second male sulcata tortoise from Long Island Turtle Rescue. I haven't seen a photo yet, but he's supposedly about 70 pounds.

I'm not feeling very creative these days, mostly just worn out by my kids, so I'm asking for help from the forum members to pick a name for my new tort. Any kind of name -- serious, silly, manly, not-so-manly, whatever.

Who's in?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There are so many "Tanks" and "Dozers" and heavy duty names. I kinda' like the little meeky mild names for a big ugly tortoise, like "Sweety" or "Billy Bob" or people names like "Joe" or "Mike."

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I love the name Bob. We rescued a super fat basset hound named Roger, for some reason it was so fitting. So maybe one of those? Not creative but might fit.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
All of my torts have names in the native language of their country. I would google African baby names and go from there ;)

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
My tort's name is Ted... so much for creative, lol. How about "Alejandro Tortuga Conquistar"

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I like to see an animal before I name it. My Bob bobbed his head when i petted him as a baby. My Shelby had a deformed shell when I got her and I like the name. Hmmm... What would I name a big Sulcata? Maybe an African name. I think you should post a picture before you name him. Something might jump out at you either because of his personality or looks.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I love names that just happen and fit. I got my then 3-year old daughter a beautiful white and gray kitten, who went unnamed for a few days. Then the 5:00 news was on and there was a "Baby Your Baby" segment featuring an Indian woman taking her toddler in for a well-child checkup. The little girl's name was Pooja. Our lovely Pooja was the most perfect house cat until she died 14 years later. I loved the movie "Ponette" featuring Victoire Thivisol (the little girl in "Chocolat"), so when I decided to by a 7 month old Aussie, already a young lady and packed with personality, but not at all grown, I felt like I had to name her Ponette. It has suited her well.
Take some time for yourself, relax, do something you enjoy, and let a name that means something to you find its way to you. The tort, and his name, will be around for a looooong time, so it should be a name you like.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the input, all. It gave me some good ideas. I like the idea about giving him a native African name. Darren's idea reminded me of that ATHF episode where Meatwad orders a snake in the mail and names it Nathan Scott Philip. Hilarious! Ahhhh, but you're probably right. I'll most likely need to see him first to know if a name fits or not. Keep sending me ideas, though, it helps me brainstorm :)

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Anytime people mention naming things, pets babies etc, I think of this quote....

"So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"
— Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You'll Go!)

Someday I'll get over my Star Wars nerdiness and use one of these names!

John

5 Year Member
since there is no pic how bout the invisible tortoise?

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
kyryah said:
All of my torts have names in the native language of their country. I would google African baby names and go from there ;)

I agree, What about Takota, Apache, mambo :D

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Dickinson, Texas
What fun! I have often used Swahili to name my pets. I really like the ring to the words. I had a dog named Zeekoe (hippo) because she looked like a tiny hippo when she was a baby. Rafiki means friend, kubwa means big, kutembea means walking, and kobe means tortoise. Hmmm...I like the idea of getting names from the forum. I'll have to do this with my next friend...k

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I love human names for pets. Our tort ended up as Trevor because we were looking for a short male name which started with 't'. I like short names because I have the idea of naming a pet/child something that is so long it has to have a nickname. I also like names where you can tell the sex right away. He had been temp sexed male so we went with it, and we lucked out! Starting with 't' because he is a tortoise...we like to call him Trevor Tortoise. I looked through websites of baby names to get ideas. The pet name pages were too silly for me. hehe

I think a tort will come when called because they either see you or they feel your footsteps...they know humans are the food gods. I don't think they can hear our voices. I do however think they can hear different pitches of voices...ie differentiate a high or low voice. My friend watching Trevor one time said that Trevor didn't perk up for him or his wife or a couple other friends, but went crazy over his mother in law's voice...which was a similar pitch to mine. hehe

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
tortoisenerd said:
I think a tort will come when called because they either see you or they feel your footsteps...they know humans are the food gods. I don't think they can hear our voices. I do however think they can hear different pitches of voices...ie differentiate a high or low voice. My friend watching Trevor one time said that Trevor didn't perk up for him or his wife or a couple other friends, but went crazy over his mother in law's voice...which was a similar pitch to mine. hehe

Well, I do call my tortoise with a freakishly high-pitched call, which gets even higher at the end. It's a very distinctive sound... Maybe he only comes because he knows that's the only way to get the horrible noise to stop. :D :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.