White foam round eyes

donna torti

Hia I have an 8 year old leopard tortoise she is a bit weezy n had a little bit off whitish foam in the corner off her eyes has any one else had this problem

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My female leopard gets what looks like foamy bubbles in her eye. It seems to be related to stress and goes away after a soak. It is normal for leopards and not a problem,
Wheezy on the other hand can be a sign of an RI. I would increase the temps to 85F day and night for a week or 2 and watch for runny nose or the wheezing to get worse.

donna torti

Hia I have an 8 year old leopard tortoise she is a bit weezy n had a little bit off whitish foam in the corner off her eyes has any one else had this problem
My female leopard gets what looks like foamy bubbles in her eye. It seems to be related to stress and goes away after a soak. It is normal for leopards and not a problem,
Wheezy on the other hand can be a sign of an RI. I would increase the temps to 85F day and night for a week or 2 and watch for runny nose or the wheezing to get worse.
Hi it sounds to be more like heavy breathing is this normal . She is 8 yrs old and huge I have a humid box at 90 day n night . Rest off torti table drops to 70 overnight I have orchid bark which I spray in the humid box does this sound okay1431792341662.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Your temps sound ok. Soak her and see if it goes away. My female breathes heavy too when stressed. Has something happened to cause stress?
On another note, be careful with the light. They don't know when their shell is too hot and can burn themselves.

donna torti

Your temps sound ok. Soak her and see if it goes away. My female breathes heavy too when stressed. Has something happened to cause stress?
On another note, be careful with the light. They don't know when their shell is too hot and can burn themselves.

donna torti

Thankyou nothing has happened to stress her . But I did bath her yesterday which she doesn't seem very fond off . I will higher my light I think it's maybe a little low.down .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I didn't see that. I agree, I never let my Leopards ambient temperature drop below 80F. If you are worried about her being sic, I would up that to 85F.

donna torti

Thankyou everyone I have raised my temps . Is.it ok I am spraying her humid box . As some ppl have said because she is 8 . She doesn't need this as long as temps are high . A lot off info on leopards are about babies

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hydration is still important. I keep, even for my 16 year old Leopard, the night hide around 60% humidity. Mazuri is a dry commercial food. It comes in original or LS. Use the original. You moisten it for feeding. Tortoise Supply and LLL Reptile sell it, I think. We found it on Amazon as well.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Couple questions

1. About the behavior of the tortoise...does it spend most of its time directly under the lamp like in the picture, or away from it?
2. How are you measuring temperatures?
3. What is the temperature directly below the basking light?

All else considered, your low temperature of 70 is a good low, but the high of 90 is a bit too low in my opinion. In my experience, they thrive much better with higher temperatures closer to 100.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Couple questions

1. About the behavior of the tortoise...does it spend most of its time directly under the lamp like in the picture, or away from it?
2. How are you measuring temperatures?
3. What is the temperature directly below the basking light?

All else considered, your low temperature of 70 is a good low, but the high of 90 is a bit too low in my opinion. In my experience, they thrive much better with higher temperatures closer to 100.
You let temps drop to 70? What humidity for this? Is this only for large adults? I am always afraid they will get sick below 80.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I let my sub adults and adults outside full time when lows stay above 50 actually. Hatchlings and young tortoises are a different story, but I am assuming from the picture posted that this discussion is geared towards older tortoises. They can be fine between 40 and 50, but in general when lows are less than 50 here it usually doesn't reach high temperatures that I'm comfortable with during the day.

They're housed outdoors so humidity ranges, but is generally around 10%. When we get rain it obviously goes up, but being in the desert, higher humidity doesn't stay around for long. I don't worry to much about rainy days here in there, but for a wetter climate I may suggest a warmer temperature threshold.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
HI a what is mazuri
HI a what is mazuri
its food that you buy in a package. picture below. Just soften in water and ad a few chunks to his greens each feeding. Some people only feed it a couple of times a week but I feed a little bit every meal and they eat it first and then go on To eat their greens. it might take him a couple of meals to realize that iTs food but once he does, oh boy! don't bother with the Mazuri LS pellet version. most tortoises don't like it

Attachments

• IMG_20150519_182153.jpg
    IMG_20150519_182153.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I let my sub adults and adults outside full time when lows stay above 50 actually. Hatchlings and young tortoises are a different story, but I am assuming from the picture posted that this discussion is geared towards older tortoises. They can be fine between 40 and 50, but in general when lows are less than 50 here it usually doesn't reach high temperatures that I'm comfortable with during the day.

They're housed outdoors so humidity ranges, but is generally around 10%. When we get rain it obviously goes up, but being in the desert, higher humidity doesn't stay around for long. I don't worry to much about rainy days here in there, but for a wetter climate I may suggest a warmer temperature threshold.
Good to know. Thank you for explaining that so well. It all helps me translate to my weather and set ups.
I apologize, @donna torti for hi-jacking your thread.